My LO file won’t export anymore..started and new file and tried to export it but it just doesn’t do anything?

Can anyone please help, I’ve started a new LO for one of my projects. Having trouble exporting it, it just doesn’t export, no error osnyrhing just ends up not responding. I’ve tried turning off the auto raster - hybrid and still drawing a blank!

Share the LayOut file so we can see what you are working with.

Hi Dave, thanks for that i was hoping you was going to come through! after seeing your help with others.

How do i upload the file it says its too big to upload?

Do you have a direct email i can share to?

You can use a cloud services, like Dropbox, Google drive, Wetransfer, Onedrive…etc. to upload your file there and share the link to that file in this forum.

1 Like

As @dezmo suggested, upload the file to a cloud service and share the link. If you can’t share it publicly, send me the link in a PM and I will take a look.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NNPcC3HNZFKNwP-EuNMUypNSlfZSqn9B/view?usp=sharing

please let me know if this works

I get an “Access Denied” message. I expect it would work if you change the permissions.

That’s downloading now. I’ll see what I can see.

Ok Brilliant thank you

Here we go. I see a few things that will contribute to poor performance and long export times.

Starting from the SketchUp model, you have some materials/textures that are much larger than they need to be. The large sizes won’t add anything useful in your output but they come at a cost because they have to be processed for export to the PDF. There are some textures like “page 5” that probably aren’t neccesary unless your entire model is about the book. I didn’t go hunting for it but if the book is on a shelf, even the cover texture could probably be replaced with a simple color.
Screenshot - 2_18_2024 , 8_51_20 AM

You did a nice job of detailing the moldings (mouldings?) in the model but I would suggest they are too detailed for the way they are used in this model. As an example, one curve on this molding has 41 edge segments. That winds up creating a lot of geometry that has to be processed in rendering, especially with Hybrid and Vector rendering. That 41 segments means there are 41 faces between that curve and the edge of the miter. I expect you could manage just fine with 12 or maybe even fewer segments in those sorts of curves.

Unless you are modeling molding profiles for creating custom tooling, you could get by with a lot less geometry for small details like that. If you needed to show the client a detail of the molding profile either use what the manufacturer supplies or, if it’s a custom profile, make a separate drawing, perhaps in LO instead of SketchUp at 1:1.

I hit Zoom Extents in your model and discovered a flying kitchen island almost 61 meters from the house. Is that intentional? If you need a separate copy of the island I would recommend keeping it close to the origin. Dragging things out like that can create graphics issues especially when you start making closeup views of parts of the model.

I did my usual cleanup steps. There was a little bit of incorrect tag usage. Probably came with a component from the 3D Warehouse.
Screenshot - 2_18_2024 , 8_50_32 AM
There’s a lot of unused stuff to purge.
Screenshot - 2_18_2024 , 8_50_51 AM
And I resized those largest materials to make them more reasonable. All this reduced the SketchUp file size by 56% That would carry over to the LayOut file.

In LayOut’s Document Setup>Rendering you have the Override box ticked which will make LO render all Raster viewports as Hybrid. You also have Output Resolution set to High. Having LO render the Raster viewports as Hybrid will make the export time longer, especially with your highly detailed viewports. Having the Output Resolution set to High will further lengthen the export time.
Screenshot - 2_18_2024 , 8_37_46 AM
As a test I left the settings as you have them and tried to export just the first page. I let it go for about 15 minutes while I looked at your SketchUp model. There was never any activity shown in the progrss bar of the export window. I had to kill LO to get out of it. After restarting LO and opening your file again, I turned off Output Override and set the Output Resolution to Medium. Then I exported the first page. It exported and opened Adobe Reader in less than 15 seconds.

FWIW, LO generates a zero byte PDF file at the start of the export. If you don’t wait for the export to complete it will look like an empty PDF file.

BTW, I started CleanUp 3 to merge coplanar faces and remove unneeded edges. That reduced the SketchUp file size by another 1.5 Mb.

Thats brilliant thank you so much for looking at it for me Dave, alot of that makes sense, how do i do that clean up? also how will the PDF look in the medium?

I have made all the profiles for the cornice, and skirtigs etc along with a load more others that i have used in other models and layouts for other projects. do you think its worth re making the profiles i use with less segments in the curves to help?

with regards to the book and other “decor” details i can change as you say the model is not the main reason and just to give an overall look.

How do i look to what a reasonable size model is from the store?

As all the profiles and mouldings are models i made from cornices and skritngs and moulds of cutters we use in the workshop thus giving the client and me a better visual when designing. perhaps i can look to create them with less segments.

the island floating is just a copy of the island in the model, i used so i could create views of the island alone for LO (being lazy really)

Thanks again Dave, i have managed to export. maybe last time i wasnt wating long enough as i just kept seeing the PDF saved with the file being 0 i exported as medium like you said managed to do the 5 pages in a minute or so, so thats great thanks again!

1 Like

You’re quite welcome.

I guess there’s a lot there. I hope it’s not overwhelming.

I used Default Tag Geometry and Purge All by TIG from Sketchucation to deal with the tags and the unused stuff. I use Purge All because it gives me that report but you can do the same sans report with Model Info>Statistics>Purge Unused. For the large materials I use Material Resizer which is available in the Extension Warehouse.

I don’t know if it’s worth remaking them for this project but for future projects I would do that. Maybe you could use Fredo6’s Curvizard to simplify those objects. Or Skimp from MindSight Studio (see the Extension Warehouse for that one).

For all entourage you get from sources like the 3D Warehouse, download them into a separate SketchUp session so you can look at them closely. Check to see if they are suitable. Look to clean them up and be really surgical about it. Eliminate unneeded details. For example, the wall oven you chose. Does it really need to have the racks on the inside or the details on the back or the control panel on the front to communicate it’s a wall oven?

It might be that you could eliminate most of it and leave the outer shell on the front and still get the point across. Also think about whether the time you spend cleaning up a component is a good investment. Maybe it would be better to hunt further or perhaps create your own components instead. If you do invest your time and effort into cleaning up components and they are objects you might use again in the future, save them into a local collection or to your own 3D Warehouse collection so you don’t have to clean them the next time.

You can see file size, polygon count, and materials count when you are looking at components in the 3D Warehouse. Those will give you an idea. Looking at them further in a separate file before copying and pasting to your project will make it easier to assess the components to figure out if they will do the job you need them to do.

If you do that sort of thing you’ll have less unused stuff in your project to purge although you should still purge unused stuff once in a while. Keep in mind that deleting components from the model space doesn’t remove them from the model file. This can be very useful but if you are trying components from the 3D Warehouse it’s like ordering them from Amazon to be delivered to your house and then when you find they are what you want, sticking them up in the attic instead of returning them. Pretty soon the ceiling caves in on you.

Here’s th PDF of the first page.
Drawings for pricing.pdf (1.8 MB)

Since the cutters already exist, I think you could get away with reducing the numbers of segments quite a lot. As I wrote earlier, if you want to show very accurate representations of the profiles, draw them in LayOut with LayOut’s drawing tools. You could put them on a separate page. Since they are based on cutters in the shop you could create a scrapbook in LayOut for them and drag them in when needed.

With logical tag usage I expect you could get away with many fewer scenes than you have and there’d be no need for a copy of the island away from the kitchen.

Excellent. I expect you weren’t waiting long enough before. If you do need to export those high detail, high res, Hybrid rendered viewports, maybe you could get a dog. Start the export and take Rover for a long walk. :wink:

1 Like