Move in one plain from top to bottom of other shape without losing position

I have created a solid and I want to move it from the top of a shape to the bottom, please can you tell me how I achieve this?

Several ways. One is to use an edge to follow and a second is to use the up arrow to lock to the blue axis, then inference the edge.
Blue

and of course you could always just flip them along the blue axis.

Thanks for your replies.

I didn’t know about using the up arrow to constrain, that’s going to be pretty useful.

I couldn’t get the move tool to work as described and demonstrated without using the up arrow, not sure why. Any idea?

Also, I notice in your demonstrating that the circle doesn’t have lots of lines around it (unlike mine), why is this?

Just wondering whether this is the right place for this thread? It is less a technical problem, more how to use Sketchup.

The edges are still there in @Box’s cylinder too… but they are softened/smoothed over.

SketchUp automatically softens the edges on extruded circles are, so I think Box would have just inherited that as a default state.

You probably had this state originally as well… but something was changed to make it loose the softening.

Either way, you can get it back by using the Soften/Smooth command… available on the right click context menu, or from the >Windows >Soften Edges menu system.

Edges can also be hidden, or softened individually using the eraser tool and the proper modifier key.

Best way to get the Move tool to work better is to review a tutorial, and practice a little more.

… and if you do this then also work with the Rotate tool at the same time… so all of the orientation commands get built up equally.

This is getting into a different topic, but good orientation skills goes a long way towards modeling easier and faster in SU.