Move command on mac only seems to autofold

using trackpad on macbookpro, have set sktechup web to use track pad
fighting to move a simple object as only seem able to autofold
tried cycling with command key and no sucess

assuming that a fundamental like move would not always invoke autofold so must be me.
help documentation checked and not helping.

i could not find an existing question on this topic via search

It might have something to do with what you are trying to move. Sharing the .skp file so we can see what you are working with.

1 Like

thank you David, this is my first time using and am looking for a tool to help my wood working projects at home. I think thi sis how I share.

It a frame of 4x4" wooden beams for a shed i want to place.
Outside of the actual frame you can see a 10 foot length and an 8 foot length which I created and then wanted to move.
just had some sucess creating a new 8 foot beam and copy paste. But moving would be more efficent in some cases.
next i need to work out how to space the 8 lengths evening across the beam, then show where I make my slots and cut outs.

Do I need to buy the paid version at this stage ?

here is the skip file too, just determined that is what you asked for really
frame for 10 foot shed.skp (95.3 KB)

I can’t check the file until morning - but are you making groups or components of your lumber?

1 Like

not yet no, i guessed there are efficent ways above what i did

If you use the Move tool with nothing selected, it will try to figure out what you are moving. If you’re over a face it will end up moving that face and the connected edges, giving the illusion of auto folding. If you’re over a corner it would make that corner become spiky.

When you do use groups you can then click on any part of the group, and the whole group will move. In the meantime, if you have raw geometry, first select all of the bits that you are intending to move. In many cases you can do that by triple-clicking on something, which will select all connected geometry.

1 Like

thank you colin will try that. I just made a square and that moved fine.
So I need to group each element that makes up a beam eg a 8 foot 4x4, and then try moving.

Easier I think if I delete my work and start again.

thank you

So it sounds like you are just distorting the geometry because you aren’t selecting all of the loose geometry to move it. Make a component to contain the geometry for each “board” so it is treated as a single object when you grab it to move it or copy it.

1 Like

worked, thank you DavidR and Colin, making groups of compoents solved my problem.
move works, easy peasy.

If many of your pieces of lumber are the same size and shape, make components rather than groups.

Then you get two benefits (and one small drawback).

+1. Edit one copy of a component and all the other copies receive the same edit.

+2. Components are saved in the Components Browser. So if you delete all copies in the model space, and find you need a new one, an original one is still available.

If you copy a group and edit the original the copy is not changed.

-1. Groups don’t appear in the Component Browser, so don’t “clutter” it. But if you delete a group, you can’t get it back - it’s gone permanently.

1 Like

Discovering how handy components are and thank you John.

Next up is to work out if sketch up can be told to place X pieces of lumber evenely across a 10 foot section :slight_smile:

Yes it can.

Draw or place one piece of lumber.

Use the Move/Copy tool to copy it 10ft in the desired direction.

Let go of the mouse, and type /X where X is the number of copies you want.

Note: that means you get X copies PLUS the original.

So if you want six pieces at 2ft intervals, type /5, not /6.

If you know the spacing you want move one copy by the spacing (say 18") then type 5x to get five more, spaced by 18".

1 Like

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series and Level UP series. They cover the basics for each tool.

1 Like