Modeling the Stave Church live!

If it was FedEx, at least they got it there on time. :wink:

Here are a couple of links that talk about it.

High up in the central section of the building there are or were two pairs of carved wooden masks that were said to be of the King and Queen of Norway. When the building was erected in Wisconsin the two kings were on one side and the queens on the other. I haven’t found pictures of that but maybe you can go visit and see if it’s still like that.

1 Like

Looked familar, I’ve searched in my old photos and found my own visit there back in 2005 :wink:
Impressive building!

3 Likes

If you find yourself in the “neighbourhood” another time - give me a shout.

1 Like

Maybe this can help a little.

png-transparent-borgund-stave-church-lomen-stave-church-gol-church-angle-plan-engineering-thumbnail

Excited for this one! @thomthom , will you be watching?

Aye I will! :grinning:

In case it helps…

That was fun. I got some modelling done myself while watching this. Felt good to model something in 3D again. Got a zen feeling :smiley: (Though often distracted by the stream and chat. I should try to set aside some time over the weekend to do some more work on this.)

I’m going off some orthogonal drawings I found of the church. Proportions between side and front elevation fits quite well.

2 Likes

This morning I realised the plans I found is outdated. Missing a number of key features. And things doesn’t seem to be entirely in the correct location based on what should be current site plan.

Found that it was possible to download the model from a 3D scan. So spent some time getting that imported so I can use as reference for proportions and features. Still tweaking the size as I’ve yet to find a really good reference for that. (The 3D model wasn’t in a 1:1 scale). Usually I struggle to find good reference photos without people obstructing the view, but this time it’s the opposite - struggling to find good references of people standing right next to the church so I can use that as a guide to scale the model.

The 3D scan model is 470K faces, so somewhat dense for what I need. Might try to run a mesh-reducer, but the model itself i split into nine separate pieces from the photoscan. Might have to merge it first.

2 Likes

I can’t find the model, will the link to the 3d warehouse be added here later? My printer is waiting :wink:

Oops!

2 Likes

I think one of my comment went unnoticed yesterday.

I added comments to the model from the 3D Warehouse. See this SU file.

Stave Church with comments.skp (500.3 KB)

Of course, when 3D printed to a 5 inch length, this detail will not be noticeable.

2 Likes

When I started using SketchUp back in 2007 a SU model of about 30 000 faces was a largish model.

Today I dropped a 400 000 triangle references model into it without much sweat.

Modelling each surface tile might not be such a crazy things… :thinking:

1 Like

Ended up discarding all the box models I’d done so far after going back and trying to get the scale correct. Looked up map services and used that as reference for the size. In the stream I said it was 20m in length, going by what I’d read in some source. But using the municipal maps I found that the length, measured by the roofs was 25m.

Should have started with setting the scale correct from the beginning. But now the 3d scan is scaled correctly and geo-located so I can even get correct shadows.

1 Like

Started printing, but I don’t have a good feeling about the overhangs… we will see.

2 Likes

New volumes based on one half the the building. It matches “ish” on the other side. But this old building isn’t entirely symmetrical. However, keeping it symmetrical for now in order to make it easier to model. I doubt it will be visible in the end.

2 Likes

A late entry, a photo I took when my family visited Heddal Stave church in August 2001.

2 Likes

Not perfect, but quite respectable with a bit of post processing…

6 Likes

I downloaded the same scan (from Sketchfab). What is the correct scale? I tried x100 and that seemed sensible.

I first imported the Sketchfab OBJ with meters as units. But that was too small. Given that the model wasn’t even aligned to any model axis I just used RotaScale to scale it such that the length ended up as 25 meters.

So these printers are able to build something of an overhang? How does it manage that?