Model reference not updating in Layout

Another thing to try is “Relink” the model reference back to your model. It might help to “Unlink” it first and then “Relink” it. I have to do that sometimes.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I’ve seen this situation happen quite a few times: Everything works as expected for a work session, save everything and quit for the day, but when I come back to it on another day, the file is reported as “missing” in the Document Setup. Trying to “Relink” to the current file didn’t work either, BUT if I either Relinked it to an older file and then back again, or Unlinked and then Relinked to the current file it fixed it - at least for that work session. The whole thing might repeat itself in my next work session.

1 Like

Yes it is a strange anomaly RTCool. Thanks for checking in.
My Layout file would delink for good reason sometimes (doing things that I shouldn’t have done, like drag and drop things into Layout), but then it would go missing for no reason that I could see at other times.
The most troublesome thing to me was when I tried to relink the file in document setup, it was wanting me to choose a file in a completely different location file extension to where I originally save my file - and it wouldn’t let me choose the right file. I ended up making a copy as you suggest and then was able to link to that new copy.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the way I saved the original file (‘save as’ sometimes to make a copy in my iCloud, and then ‘save as’ again to save to my hard drive). I think from now on, I will save a copy to the cloud through the back end of my file manager on my computer and not through Sketchup. Also maybe the I use Outliner almost exclusively to manage my model, and then turn the groups off and on (hide) for various scenes - I find using both Tags and Outliner together can get redundant. However, Tags are useful for some of my applications.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Dave.
I’ve learned so much from you in our PM chat.
Cheers

1 Like

I see this when it’s broken and I try to relink. I’m making an educated guess, but I think LO caches the file in an application support file not meant for the user ever to look at and that’s where it takes you. I would never relink to one of those files. I always navigate back to the original file where I know I save it and relink to that.

1 Like