Model Along Live! More Machine Parts!

nice work!

Thank you.

Here’s one from Jody’s link.

3 Likes

Nice. Are you using FredoCorner for the fillets?

Thanks. No. The ones on the end flanges were done with arcs on the profile before Follow Me. The one where the side comes in used Curviloft.

1 Like

Here you go. Another one from Jody’s link. Aptly this one was called “Modeling Practice” which seems like a good one. I’ll challenge anyone who is self-isolating to give this one a go.

Here’s the image I was working from.

1 Like

Odd thread.

1 Like

Yes it is an odd thread What did you figure for the pitch?

13 ?.
But I think it may be 12.5

I figured 11.69. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be quite honest I was a little off on the open and close length.

That’s be our secret. No one else has to know.

Ah, a moment of clarity. I reckon you divided 70.15 by 6.
I just measured thread to thread, close enough for a pandemic.

Yeah. I’m not sure that’s actually right, either. The cross section doesn’t seem to match the view above it.

The pitch might be 12.75 (70.15 divided by 5.5).

1 Like

Technically made it in Blender, but I find OuterShell and Thom’s Cleanup and Solid Inspector tools superior to anything I’ve found so far for Blender. I imagine it would challenge even someone experienced in Blender to match SketchUp’s efficiency for these types of small models. In my case, it took all morning in Blender as I am just learning and I didn’t do any any cleanup in Blender - only a few simple booleans.

2020-04-10_112311

3 Likes

I just had a go at this one from Jody’s link. I made up the threads.

2 Likes

Hi @IanT , here’s a little challenge for you, very simple but slightly different in the modeling approach. (use a 10x scaled up block for convenience)

tip: you can use something similar to ‘Match Photo’ to help you speed up the process of modeling. I’ve posted about this a few days ago: Match photo for non perspective drawings? - #13 by g.h.hubers
With more complex parts the advantage would be more noticeable.

I’m also interested in how you created the curved part.

(Once again I’m impressed by how accurate SketchUp is in creating this png.)

A piece of cake, with the right extension :wink:

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks again for that gem @slbaumgartner