Missing gdal16.dll

I can’t open a sketchup file by clicking on it. I’m apparently missing gdal16.dll. Microsoft says that this is a google driver for Sketchup, but I can’t find how to load via google or Trimble. Is there another “safe” site to source this file

Really? Where do they say that? Have you tried Googling gdal.dll? There are many documents explaining the problem and its causes (which are much wider than SU) and offering the file itself for download.

-Gully

That dll file arrives shipped with SketchUp, it should be in the main folder that contains the SketchUp.exe file…
It’s been like that since from at least v8.

Why not ‘repair’ [or ‘reinstall’] your SketchUp installation ?
It should then either fix or re-add the problem dll ??

Thanks Gully
Yes, that was Microsoft’s answer, gdal16.dll is not their file… I’m
hesitant to just download gdal16.dll from an unknown site on the web. do
you have a source? Couldn’t find a S/Up thread on this.
thx, Rob

Rob Blakeney P.Eng LEED AP
Certified Passive House Designer
Local Impact Design
cel
land 519.780-0964

LocalImpactDesign.ca
Leap.House

gdal16.dll is shipped with SketchUp, so TIG’s answer applies. Try to install SketchUp fresh again.

How do you get to such an error and what is the error message?
A situation where a file is supposedly missing from the operating system, although it should be shipped with the software’s own installer, can happen for example when you attempt to install a software on the architecture and the installer attempts to register binaries that fail to load, and then appear then not loaded. (But SketchUp’s installer should recognize the architecture and warn.) Is there a chance your computer is of x86 32 bit architecture (or 64 bit)? Did you download the 32 bit version of SketchUp? If your computer is 64 bit architecture, then it doesn’t matter because both versions of SketchUp run.

It is good that you did not download any dlls from arbitrary sites. First, dlls are not only identified by a filename name, but have also by exact versions and might be incompatible or could show other unexpected consequences. But also random sites would not be trustful (you don’t know what is inside the binary file, if it is genuine and really ‘good’ or harmful). Even googling for dlls brings nowadays not even enough information about what the dll does, other than random autogenerated text that tries to make users download tune-up software or alleged system repair tools.

I reloaded sketchup & it now works. Thank you!

Rob Blakeney P.Eng LEED AP
Certified Passive House Designer
Local Impact Design
cel
land 519.780-0964

LocalImpactDesign.ca
Leap.House