Migrating extensions to SU2019

I got am email from whaat (Mind Site Studios) today with links describing how to migrate his plug-ins.

A tip of the hat to you sir for being pro-active!

And to Guy also! Thank you.

1 Like

yeah, +1!

I try to keep my extensions up to date. However, I have often noticed that after you click on the startup message that x number of extensions have updates, it appears to go through the process but then tells you it has not succeeded. Then the message keeps coming up at startup as if you had ignored it forst time.

Or maybe it’s just me!

Yea, we’ve seen some issues like that. Seems to relate to login state getting out of sync. Have you tried logging out (not from within Extension Manager, but from SU itself) then logging in and trying to update?

If that fails - can you try if updating via the Extension Store works?

Not sure what you mean by logging out in this context. Do you just mean closing and re-opening? If so, I think it is when I start a new SU session that it happens. However, thanks for the tip and I will try doing it differently next time.

In the status bar of the SketchUp main window, there is an “avatar” icon that displays your login status (whether you are logged in by default in subwindows like 3DWH/EWH). Right-click it for logging out.

Got it.

Did that make a difference?

In the classic version (:thinking: ) You could have been logged in under different accounts (3DWH, Extension WareHouse, even the Credits log-in).
Now, with 2019 you are bound to one: The one were your Subscription or Classic license is tied to.(TrimbleID)

You might have bought or downloaded several extensions under different (Google) Accounts and they might be not the same as the Trimble ID, you would need to merge them.:

2 Likes

I don’t think I have had it happen in SU 2019 yet so I can’t say for sure.

I see the process getting easier every year. Extension manager, Sketchucation Bundle… all good ideas… but it’s still eat up a full day of work when you have a large amount of extensions. The biggest one is always the one with licences. Artisan, Skalp, Instant Fence, etc… they always asked for more attention. Also, the workspace and the tray could be saved and reload. In SU and LO. That would save a bit of time as well. Right now, I have to take snapshot of all my screens and replicate the layout on the new version… once I’ve install all my extension. This should be a one button process.

I just wish a day when it would only take a hour to do instead of a day. I’m sure we’ll get there.

(I don’t want to mention it too loud but AutoCad introduce a migration manager at some point (2014 I think) and migrating version become almost an instant thing. During the installation process, the installer auto-detect and ask you if you want to migrate your interface and parameters from previous version and bang! that’s done. Just like getting a new iphone and install it from your icloud backup)

2 Likes

If you have that many…sketchUp itself should be an extension!
Then, you would only had to update one… :slight_smile:

#outofthebox #intothewild

1 Like

I just set up SketchUp on a new computer the other day. 13 minutes start to finish including installing fresh copies of extensions, placing toolbars, creating two custom toolbars, adding custom materials, styles, scrapbooks and my templates for both SU and LO. In hindsight, I should have taken a few minutes to cull some extensions I don’t use but I can do that any time.

DaveR, next time I’m doing it… You come to my office, I pay the beer and we will have a blast!! ;)))

By the way, yesterday I just updated from 19 to 19.2. I was expecting a long installation process. When I realized it installs the update without having to re-install anything… I was soooooooooo pleased!!! If all updates could be like this for now on, that would do my year!

I can’t drink a beer that fast! :smiley:

Think of the upgrading to the next major version as encouragement to do some housekeeping. Get rid of old, unused extensions or at least set them up so they don’t load on startup. Get rid of collections of materials and components you don’t use and tidy up your work space.

1 Like

ha ha ha! I know people who do!

I read your advice (housekeeping) on a previous forum and I use your method. It’s a great method. I do surprised myself every year of how much plugin I rid of. And it’s also a big pleasure when simple plugin are added to the SU code. That makes my list smaller.

cheers

2 Likes

You are right Dave. It is a little of a pain in the (you know where), but the right thing to do.
Thank you.

1 Like