Microsoft Surface Book 3000dpi res

Hello all!

I am setting up my own Architectural practice and considering purchasing a new laptop and then 1 x licence of Sketchup Pro 2017, and I was wondering if you’d be able to advise on the below. The laptop I’m looking at is a Microsoft Surface Book:

1. Is there any specific hardware certification for Sketchup Pro 2017?

2. Is it designed to run naturally on a 3000dpi monitor? (Without upscaling). I’ve come across a few forum posts relating to some issues with not being able to clearly see the icons etc.

3. Cost options to: purchase outright, monthly payments, and any other cost effective options for a small start up (e.g: annual subscription but on a month by month payment basis with the option to freeze the subscription (without incurring costs) in the event that I don’t have work for a few months.

4. There’s a possibility that I may eventually setup a practice in Australia and so can my licence be easily migrated to Australia and continue to be renewed, or are the licenses country based?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards
Greg

#1 Do not think so.

#2 3000 dpi ? Really? there is a display with 3 THOUSAND dots per inch ?
I think SketchUp supports either 125% or 150% display scaling. The work on HiDPI friendliness is partially complete. (3rd party extension icons need to be updated by the various extension authors, and is beyond SketchUp control.)

#3 interesting idea for a 3rd party finance company, but I do not believe Trimble does this.

#4 The licenses are machine-based. You’re allowed to authorize on two machines, but only use one at a time. Your biggest issue will be buying a charging adapter for “downunder” as they use different plugs and perhaps 240V.

okay, I finally found the reference:

SketchUp Hardware and Software Requirements says:

High DPI Support
SketchUp is DPI aware and can adjust the sizes of Icons and drawing elements so they are sized correctly for High DPI screens. Icons are sized when SketchUp starts up. If you adjust your DPI or scaling (Microsoft Windows – but only up to 150%) you will need to restart SketchUp to see correctly sized Icons and drawing elements.

do some more searching on this forum. If I remember well, there are some gfx / registry issues with the surface book that really p… people off.
Also more here:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64141

DanR, MaxB

Guys many thanks for your help and contributions to my queries. Much appreciated!

I’m undecided if I should be buying the latest in technology, or if this will just be a waste of money (if SU can’t run well on it).

I’m starting to wonder whether hi res 13inch screens will take off or not due to these sorts of issues.