Medeek Wall

When a wall tees into another wall specific studs are inserted at the intersection to provide additionally nailing for gypsum and also to help tie the walls together. Those studs are the gypsum backers.

The studs in your image that are not supported by a bottom plate (due to the pocket door) are all gypsum backers.

Is this model in the 3DW? Would like to practice with the trim tool?

1 Like

First look at exterior trim with a Pentagon window:

First look at pentagon windows with the various casing options:

First look at a gable wall with a combination of rectangular, trapezoid and pentagon windows:

This type of gable wall would probably be used with a scissor truss set where the bottom pitch of the truss set aligns with the pitch/slope of the windows.

View model here:

Version 2.0.8 - 05.05.2021

• Added pentagon windows to the window draw and edit menus for all wall types: rectangular, gable, shed and hip.
  • Added isoceles/equilateral triangle windows to the window draw and edit menus for all wall types: rectangular, gable, shed and hip.

With the recent addition of these two window types some relatively interesting window walls can be created.

Encountered a similar configuration. Changed Wall 2 and 3 to “End” versus “Tee”, added 1x vertical stock and horizontal stock. This provided nailing surfaces for gypsum while maintaining native extension geometry/editing (walls and door). Would be interesting to know how a framing crew would resolve this atypical configuration.

I can tell you exactly how I’ve done it in the past. I don’t use studs in the pocket because there is no room. Instead, I plywood over the pocket. Rip down some studs at the edge of the pocket to mount the plywood to. I actually have a model with all this in it somewhere…

Inside the Medeek plugin, I’m not sure how I would do this in a quick manner. These are the details I’m known for burning way too much time on, so I’d likely manually rebuild it the way I wanted, but that’s apart from the gypsum backers being added from the tee walls.

1 Like

Please forgive these drawings. It was years ago, and there are lots of mistakes, but hopefully you can make out what I’m talking about. Also the “header” for the pocket door hardware was a build-up from 2X and plywood, if memory serves.
2900_SHOP DWGS_REV1.pdf (3.1 MB)

1 Like

Always great to get advice from a skilled professional. I learn new ideas each time I visit this forum. :grinning:

This might be an ideal use of the “Custom” keyword as Nathan described earlier in this thread.

1 Like

Exactly, but it would be a slow process. I was trying to think of some clever way to make it a bit faster, but I can’t think of one.

1 Like

I have been in this situation many times. The Medeek extensions are fast at creating complex geometry, but at times the editing tools do not allow unique ( one-off ) modifications. I get the model completed with the extension tools and then explode the model. I make my final adjustments and save. This is fast, the only downside is you give up future extension editing capabilities. Hope this helps …

1 Like

That’s the same strategy I use. Sometimes with scripts like this, you can lie to it to get results you need. For example, in a different software (Cabinet Vision), I used to lie to the program’s inputs about what I wanted sufficiently to have it create a knee wall instead of a cabinet. It has to do with manipulating variables to an extreme and using creative thinking. The “partitions” of the cabinet became my studs, the upper cleats became my top plate, doors turned into laminate paneling, and toe kicks became removable…well, toe kicks, really. I’d love to peek under the hood of Medeek’s program and see what it’s up to.

I sometime use of workflow that may be a problem for Medeek: Either work in the same spacial relationship in a separate file, and paste in place to the main model, or work in the main file and paste in place a copy of the Medeek component into a separate SU file for safe keeping, and then do the customization. I’m not sure whether copy and paste between SU files is problematic for Medeek, like maybe a need for unique names that could get messed up.

1 Like

Good question. I like to dive under the hood once in a while and try to explain how it all works…

The answer is you should be able to simply copy and paste any Medeek “Assembly” group from one file into another without any problems. The one caveat to that is that if the global axis of the model has been altered you cannot or should not try to create or edit any of your assemblies with the plugins within that file/model.

If you look at the entity name for any Medeek assembly or group you will notice some key words (ie. RECT_WALL_ASSEMBLY) within the name. You will also notice that the key word is followed by a long string of numbers which is nothing more than a timestamp (down to the nearest second) and this is what ensures that each Medeek assembly is unique.

If one was to remove the timestamp portion of the entity name or make it identical to another entity name of another assembly within the model this will create problems. The plugin(s) need to know which “group” they are editing and the entity name serves that purpose across multiple operations in some cases.

A Medeek assembly is simply a group full of various other groups or components. The interesting part is the attribute library for the group, this contains all of the parameters that define the assembly (ie. Wall Height, cladding, sheathing, insulation, windows, doors, etc…) Essentially the attribute library is like a mini database for each assembly. It contains all of the parameters or properties that define that assembly and allow one to completely draw the entire assembly with all of its components from scratch. As I’ve said previously the actual physical geometry created within a wall, roof or foundation assembly is nothing more than a physical manifestation of the attribute library for that assembly.

However, it should be noted that any “CUSTOM” geometry or electrical fixtures added to the assemblies are not being tracked by the plugins (Wall, Truss, Foundation). These drawing entities are simply being ignored and that is why they are allowed to persist within an assembly upon a rebuild.

Since electrical fixtures inserted into Medeek assemblies (or any assembly for that matter) still need to be tracked, modified, and counted by the Electrical plugin each electrical group will have a unique entity name as well (ie. ELECT_ASSEMBLY_PANEL_20210506014425).

The whole system seems to work reasonably well thus far, and if one wants to simply copy an assembly and essentially create a new clone they can just use the native copy and paste commands in SketchUp and then alter the entity name so that it is different from the original. The exact content of the “uniqueness” string at the end of the entity name does not need to be just numerals it can be any sort of alpha-numeric string. The important point is that it needs to be unique within the model.

2 Likes

Version 2.0.8b - 05.06.2021

• Fixed a bug with exterior trim and wainscoting for trapezoid and pentagon windows.

*** CRITICAL BUG FIX ***
If you are using either trapezoid or pentagon windows with exterior trim or wainscoting this is a critical bug fix. It is highly recommended to upgrade to this latest release to address this issue.

2 Likes

Tutorial 20 - Trapezoid and Pentagon Windows (16:59 min.)

1 Like

Version 2.0.8c - 05.06.2021

• Minor update to the window draw and edit menus.
  • Customized the wireframe preview for the Trapezoid and Pentagon window geometry.

When a wall tees into another wall the “hide wall lines” algorithm does not remove those lines.

I’m fixing that algorithm so that all the top plate lines/edges are hidden and you end up with a result like this:

Version 2.0.9 - 05.07.2021

• Improved the “hide wall lines” feature for all wall types: rectangular, gable, shed and hip.
1 Like