Medeek Wall

The new post module is really a plugin within a plugin when you think about it. The assemblies it creates (similar to the beam module and stair module) are standalone assemblies within the wall plugin.

One could argue that I should split all of these modules out into separate plugins (ie. windows/doors, beams, posts, stairs, trimming tools). I do think the trimming tools (currently found in the Truss plugin) should be split out into a stand alone plugin since it can find application with any SketchUp geometry and not just Medeek related groups/assemblies.

On the flip side one could argue that with so much functionality included within the wall plugin it is good value for the money.

All in all, I’m very excited to not only get the post module completed (its been on the todo list for quite some time) but also to quite unexpectedly enable a classical column feature.

Now that I’ve got the post module monkey off of my back I’m giving some more serious thought to extending the window and door modules to include non-Medeek walls or Generic Walls as I like to call them. I’ve already had some experience (and code) doing this sort of thing with the electrical plugin so it isn’t impossible, however there may be a few hurdles or technical challenges I haven’t foreseen yet.

I don’t know, I’m still rolling it around in my head this morning. If it feels right I may take the plunge.

That was a nice bonus. Very useful in general use. I have one request. In actual practice, I find more often than not, the part I need to click on is hidden from view and I have to jump through hoops to see it. It would be nice for a modifier key to reverse the function (click on saved part instead of deleted part just like the multi trim tool, IIRC?).

1 Like

I see what you are getting at. What key would you suggest I use for the toggle or modifier key. Let me see what I can do.

I think you already worked out doing this with the multi-trim tool, right? It says “Remove”, but hold control and it switches to “Retain”. Just make all the different trim tools work the same way, so you’re above all consistent with yourself.

1 Like

I think you are correct, I’ll take a look at it and extend the same functionality to the other tools as applicable.

Here is an example of a door with sidelites and a transom:

As nearly as I can tell the door opening (rough opening) includes the transom height.

That is how we build or custom openings and how we specify the RO. When we can, we ship them to site with casing on one side.

Version 1.3.4 - 04.14.2020

• Added transoms for all rectangular door types.
  • Enabled all grille options for door transoms.

I may need to finesse the various grilles to better suite the transom window (dependent on its aspect ratio) but for now it is generally working as it should.

Adding a transom for an arched doorway (with or without sidelites) is an interesting permutation on the problem. In that case the transom would be arched however the door (and sidelites) would be rectangular as usual:

There are some variations to this though:

It gives me a headache just trying to figure out how to commit all of these possibilities into code. At some point if a door assembly becomes to “custom” I probably just need to leave it to the user to insert their own assembly/component.

I also need to enable arched doorways for doors with sidelites but no transom, the work never ends:

A door like this is beyond the scope of the plugin:

Updated todo list (as of Apr. 14, 2020):

1.) Gable and Shed Walls
2.) Move the Estimating module to the new Medeek Project extension, and further develop this module as it relates to the wall plugin.
3.) Complete the Wall Join tool.
4.) Convert the Window, Door and Garage Door Draw menus to HTML.
5.) Move the Fixtures module to a the new Medeek Interior extension.
6.) Compete the standalone columns/post tool.
6b) Classical columns for the post tool.
7.) Start work on the integrated Medeek Engineering extension, start with window and door headers for vertical loads.
8.) A generic Blocking module is still a good idea in my opinion, I will need further feedback on this one.
9.) Transom windows above doors with and without sidelites.
10.) Shear Wall module which will ultimately integrate with the engineering plugin.
11.) Complete the Wall Stretch tool (75% complete as of 02/24/2020)
12.) Additional door and window types as requested (eg. bi-fold, sliding glass, double and triple single hung windows).
13.) Spend some time on the new tabs in the global settings, currently showing an Under Construction sign.
14.) Presets for Windows and Doors
15.) Making the Window and Door modules work with generic walls, not just Medeek walls.
16.) Multi-layer gypsum
17.) Stair module permutations: U, L, T etc…
18.) Further “idiot” proofing of the plugins: (zero value, nil values, checking for impossible geometry, etc…)
19.) Wall Justification
20.) Interior trim added to Medeek Interior extension.

Items in italics have been recently completed.

A door like that is probably beyond the scope of my budget as well :wink:

2 Likes

Version 1.3.4b - 04.15.2020

• Added transoms for arched door types.

Door with transom and sidelite and wall trim:

Arched door with transom and wall trim:

I’ve added a parameter which shows the leg height of the transom or arched door way, it is currently not a user editable parameter but I will test it further and may make it user definable if that makes sense:

The arch leg height is defined or calculated by the following three parameters:

door width (w), transom/door height (h), arch radius (r )

and given by the following equation:

L = h - r(1-cos(asin(0.5*w/r)))

First look at an arched door with sidelites and transom:

I’m trying to wrap up the whole arched door (with sidelites) issue. I’m currently looking at the situation where you have sidelites but no transom, this turns out to be the more complicated situation since both the door and the sidelites follow the arch of the doorway.

As nearly as I can tell an arched door always will have double sidelites and not a single sidelite:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Version 1.3.5 - 04.18.2020

• Enabled single and double sidelites for arched doors with a transom.
  • Added a leg height parameter to the door edit menu for arched doors.
  • Enabled double sidelites for arched doors without a transom.

Along the way I also addressed some minor bugs with regards to door openings and the exterior wall trim. I highly recommend upgrading to this latest release.

Tutorial 11 - Split Wall Cladding (6:49 min.)

With the polyline stemwall module I have already implemented an option for hiding edges (same sort of issue). I may do the same for the cladding however in a situation like this, where you have two walls of dissimilar height things get a bit more complicated.

Version 1.3.6 - 04.22.2020

• Resolved an issue with UTF-8 encoding.