Medeek Wall

The recent update with the gypsum option (miter) needed some further attention. While I was sorting that out it became obvious that, along with tee intersections, columns that are not full height need to have the ability to cut out the gypsum, sheathing or cladding when the column is less than the full height of the wall.

Note that the advanced options for columns allows the user to specify which element to trim away as shown in the column edit menu above. In some cases the beam may project through the wall to the exterior of the structure. In this case one would want to cut away the interior gypsum, sheathing and cladding as shown. The exterior gypsum is referring to interior walls with gypsum cladding on both sides.

Tee intersections will now automatically remove the gypsum where the walls meet:

The algorithm which notches out the top plates is very similar to this algorithm, which notches out the gypsum. For interior walls, as shown above, the tee intersection may be on either the “interior” or “exterior” of the wall. Hence the algorithm needs to be smart enough to detect which side of the wall is being affected and notch the appropriate gypsum wall panel.

Further refinement is probably in order since the result is not a true mitered corner however it is a start and certainly an improvement from when tee intersections were simply ignored with the gypsum.

Does it need to be? Every time I’ve seen gypsum installed, both IRL and in YouTube videos, it’s done without mitering.

2 Likes

You are probably correct in that the gypsum is never really installed “mitered”. The finished corners are always created with drywall corners (corner bead) or drywall tape (inside corners).

I added the mitering option to the gypsum primarily for aesthetic reasons, especially for outside corners.

So for tee intersections the fact that it is not mitered is probably mute for most purposes however at some point I will rectify this as my schedule allows.

You’re right. No one ever miters GWB, but visually, that looks best for the finished results.

1 Like

Yes, it is not done that often, but sometimes, for exterior corners:

2 Likes

Are you planning rounded wallboard corners?

1 Like

You know I have given that some thought and to be honest the rounded corner (bullnose) is my personal preference however the additional weight the rounded edge (polygon count) adds to the model is also a major consideration. Typically the radius of a rounded corner is no more than about an inch and at any distance a rounded and sharp corner are almost indistinguishable. Please feel free to chime in here if you disagree with my observation(s).

If it is something people would like to see added I can add it to the list but it is not highest priority right now.

Every time I think I know something, someone proves me wrong. I’ve never seen gypsum mitered like this in all my years of working in the design/construction industry but I suppose one can never say never.

When they miter it like this do they still tape the corner after the wall board installation? Or apply a corner bead for added protection?

Some glue will suffice, no tape needed!

There are also systems:

1 Like

Looks like the Dutch have come up with a better system. Who knows, it might catch on in the States. Its interesting how the European countries are always coming up with new and interesting building practices and eventually they are imported over here in some shape or form.

I think metal plated trusses were a US invention and then they made their way the other direction. So I guess its a two way street.

With this system though, how do you deal with non-orthogonal corners?

I think it is primarly for 90 degrees angles with this system, but there are more:

I have made some 45 angles by using a (guided) saw two directions on a 22,5 angle

I’ve seen that approach to solid surface countertop material, where it gets routed, folded and glued, and you can’t find the joints afterward, but I haven’t seen in for GWB.

The number of garage door types and variants is almost exhausting, yet another plugin within a plugin. To begin with I will start with the following door types:

• Solid
  • Panel (Panels will consist of 18" or 21" panels (or metric equivalents: 455mm, 525mm) arranged in such a way to allow for 3" (70mm) increments in door height.)
  • Standard Raised Panel
  • Long Raised Panel
  • Standard Flat Panel
  • Long Flat Panel
  • Glass Standard Raised Panel (Glass indicated that the top panel will have glass inserts)
  • Glass Long Raised Panel
  • Glass Standard Flat Panel
  • Glass Long Flat Panel
  • Full Glass Standard Panel (Full glass indicates that entire door is glass)
  • Full Glass Long Panel

There are many other garage door variants: Carriage doors etc… those will be added per user request.

Slowly working through the garage door module. Here is a first look at the garage door casing:

(Painted blue for emphasis)

With this new module I’m getting things right from the get go. Materials options are incorporated from the new Material Library so that piece of the puzzle will be much more streamlined and easy to use.

Since I am working through this a little more slowly (and carefully) it may be a few days before I release any fixes, I apologize for the delay.

As I mentioned in a previous post I have broken garage doors out into their own separate container, as such garage doors have their own edit menu etc… this is a little bit more work but will result in more flexibility and long term improvements will be more attainable.

I’m fielding at least 5-10 questions per day on the plugin (need to put up a FAQ). However, I thought this particular question on utilizing layers within the plugin was worth posting here:

QUESTION:

Just to clarify, all pre-loaded layer names for all Plugins can be changed/modified through the global settling interface.

Can layer names be changed at anytime or must layer name changes be in place at the start of modeling? How would you update existing model layer naming to new names?

ANSWER:

As mentioned in previous posts, editing or do anything to modify a wall panel (ie. adding a door or window) will cause the plugin to redraw the wall panel from scratch.

This is particularly advantageous for making layer modifications (changing a layer name).

Try it out, create a wall, then update the name for the framing layer (or any other layer name being used) to something different in the global settings.

Then regen the wall panel(s), ie. drop them down to 2D and bring them back up again into 3D. You will notice that the new layer name has been added and that the old layer name is also still present. If you have regenerated all of the wall panels then nothing should remain on the old layer unless you have manually placed something there, and you can safely delete it. SU will prompt you if something does remain and what action to take.

So the long answer to this question is that layer names can be changed at anytime and are not restricted to being set at the start of a model.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about duplicating walls. Does it mess things up to Move/Duplicate a wall? Does each wall need a unique name in the outliner?

2 Likes

So here is what I have for the garage door callout so far:

The second (smaller) line of text will display the header/lintel size:

Glulam headers will display the glulam dimensions and the term “GLULAM BEAM”

A typical lumber (nail lam) beam will be: (2) 2X8 LUMBER BEAM

A typical LSL Callout: (2) 1-3/4X7-1/4 LSL BEAM

I’m sure everyone has their own favorite way of making these callouts and I need to figure out a way to allow for enough flexibility but at the same time to not over complicate the matter.

The dashed line shows the footprint of the overhead door, with its depth equal to the door height.

Please feel free to chime in with suggestions or concerns.

It is okay to move a wall either with the move function or just the SU move tool.

If you duplicate a wall panel it needs to have a unique Instance name and it needs to have a format similar to:

RECT_WALL_ASSEMBLY_20180910125716

The digits are just a time stamp and does not need to be that long, this should also work:

RECT_WALL_ASSEMBLY_1

2 Likes

The consensus seems to be that garage door header information should not be shown.