Medeek Wall

Btw, dotted swing lines also imply that the direction is inwards, in case of an elevation. (Standing outside)
So in the window image, the swing direction is towards you. (Of course, the hinges are clearly visible in this case, but in larger scales, they usually aren’t drawn.

1 Like

So am I safe to assume one would only need the swing lines on the exterior of the door and no need to be shown on the interior of the door?

Theoretically, they should switch in sections depending on the view direction, since the symbols on the floor won’t be seen.
So a solid swing line on one side, a dotted on the other side…

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like this convention for dashed and solid swing lines is followed for cabinets (ie. kitchens and bathrooms). I’ve noticed that they most always open towards the user (swing out), yet they are almost always shown as dashed lines.

Does this convention always hold true for windows and doors though (solid vs. dashed lines)?

I have my drafting/architect book but unfortunately it is packed away in a storage unit and buried beneath at least 20 feet of boxes right now, sadly.

The swing lines are part of the door groups themselves so that they stay with the doors when opened and closed:

DD_ESL

1 Like

Well it’s what I learned as well, in france, germany…
There is a french wiki page on the subject, with diagrams going the same way, the arrow points at the handle.

Archicad draw them that way too by default, swing lines toward the handle / away from the articulation, I’m not even sure it’s possible to make the symbol the other way.

1 Like

In the wiki article the swing lines appear to stay true to the dashed/solid convention discussed above. However, I’m wondering if this convention is not as strictly followed here in the US as I am seeing a lot of examples where dashed lines are simply used for windows and doors. Maybe we are a little loose with our standards on this, it seems the Europeans follow the ISO standard quite closely.

I may just put the swing lines on both sides of the door/window and then allow the user to globally and individually adjust the line type to meet their specific convention, rather than try to build the smarts into the system.

I could go even a step further and allow the user to adjust the line type for the interior side and exterior side of the door/window independently.

Thoughts?

P.S.
Based on past experience with different features I find that there is enough variability across the architectural (residential design) field that it is not easy to shoe horn people into a set workflow or system. It is better to make it more general and customizable. The down side is that this usually results in more parameters and hence complexity, but it does result in maximum flexibility.

I think this is wise – have the flexibility and allow the users to configure things as per their standards or needs. Having worked in multiple architectural offices it seems each one has their own “company standard”.

2 Likes

Arched doors are a bit interesting but I think this looks pretty good:

Sliding Doors and Pocket doors just need an arrow as shown.

Not really sure what to do with closet (bifold) doors. I think this makes sense:

Does anyone actually show the swing lines on closet doors?

It’s not just on closet doors but also on large folding (stacking) glass doors used in commercial or high-end residential projects. Depending on which way your swing designation standard is – I’ve seen it either way as per below:

I think this is a special case where regardless of where the door pull or opening device/mechanism is located the logic is that hinged side of the individual door panel is graphically represented.

1 Like

Pocket Door is just an arrow like the sliding door:

2 Likes

Bifold and double bifold doors.

Looks like I have all the doors covered now, just need to add the options into the menus, presets and attribute libraries.

Now for the windows…

2 Likes

Double sliders are kind of interesting windows:

DSL_ESL

Sometimes I forget how cool it is to be able to create something like this in SketchUp and have it animate like it does. Can I say I love my job?

P.S.
There are a lot more window types than door types so it might take me a couple more days to fully equip each window type with the appropriate elevation opening/swing lines.

5 Likes

I didn’t realize I had not enabled opening and closing of double hung windows, fixed now:

DH_ESL

All of the rectangular window types with their elevation swing/open lines:

2 Likes

Version 3.6.3 - 06.06.2024

• Enabled elevation swing/opening lines for doors and windows.
  • Added elevation swing line annotation settings to the Door tab of the Global Settings.
  • Added elevation swing line annotation settings to the Window tab of the Global Settings.
  • Enabled opening and closing for all double hung type windows.

Hi there! I’m having a bit of trouble updating the wall assemblies. Whenever I try, nothing seems to happen. I’m really not sure what’s going wrong.
I can’t create openings for windows. Could you give me some advice on what to do?

Please do not post support questions here.

Please send me an email directly at support@medeek.com or nathan@medeek.com

This thread is already way too long and if we fill it up with all the support questions I answer on a daily basis it would be five times as long.

Tutorial 48 - Elevation Swing Lines (8:31 min.)

Version 3.6.4 - 06.08.2024

• Added the following additional Wide Flange (W) beams to the beam module: W10X49, W10X54, W10X60, W10X68, W10X77, W10X88, W10X100, W10X112, W12X45, W12X50, W12X53, W12X58, W12X65, W12X72, W12X79, W12X87, W12X96, W12X106, W12X120, W12X136, W12X152, W12X170, W12X190, W30X90, W30X99, W30X108.
  • Added the following Simpson Strong-Tie heavy girder hangers to the beam hanger library: HGUS2.75/10, HGUS2.75/12, HGUS2.75/14, HGUS3.25/10, HGUS3.25/12, HGUS412, HGUS5.25/10, HGUS5.25/12, HGUS5.5/8, HGUS5.5/10, HGUS5.5/12, HGUS5.5/14, HGUS7.25/8, HGUS7.25/10, HGUS7.25/12, HGUS7.25/14.
  • Allowed the use of a period “.” in custom beam hanger library names.

I still need to add more from this series (about another 30 hangers) to complete it and then there is also the HHUS series of hangers that need to be (modeled) and added.

• HHUS26-2
  • HHUS28-2
  • HHUS210-2
  • HHUS210-3
  • HHUS210-4
  • HHUS410
  • HHUS46
  • HHUS48
  • HHUS5.5/10
  • HHUS7.25/10

Note that all of these hangers are now available on Simpson’s website as IFC files which can be brought directly into SketchUp. However the files are generally a bit polygon heavy and are deeply nested in order to comply with IFC standards. What I am doing is using these 3D models as templates and generating my own low poly dimensionally accurate models which I then include as part of the standard (included) library for the beam module. The idea is to have these at your finger tips and not to be hassled with going out and downloading files and cleaning them up etc…

3 Likes