Medeek Wall

Feedback on the wall sandwich tool is not too late. I am still formulating how I want to put this together.

Ease of use and flexibility are my primary considerations, so I am taking my time on this and trying to get it right.

3 Likes

Version 2.4.3b - 10.04.2021

• Fixed a bug with pocket doors.

Another great video by Matt Donley. I actually don’t use this feature much myself because it is just so much easier to use the various built-in doors and in most cases they suffice for my own needs. However, for a custom entry door or some other situation like this, this ability does prove useful and that is why I included it when I originally created the door and window modules.

2 Likes

Looking for advice on how to configure these 4 structural walls to have 3.5x3.5 PSL posts at all 4 corners, as depicted below:

Perhaps I don’t fully understand the shear wall feature? From what I understand, you use the shearwall tool on a segment of an existing wall, correct? But what if I want the entire wall to be a shear wall? It doesn’t seem to let me do that. (EDIT: I realized this is a bug related to this specific model, see Medeek Extensions Q/A - #165 by Matt)

I’ve also tried simply placing a column manually using the Column tool, but it doesn’t let me place columns at the end of the wall, even if I configure the wall ends to be “None”.

This is the best I can do:

Obviously, that’s not acceptable. I’m trying to avoid manually overriding it… Any advice on how to do this? Seems like it should be simple.

I feel like I should be able to set the corner stud quantity to 0 and be able to manually place a PSL all the way to the corner. But it forces me to have at least 1 corner stud.

1 Like

I will have to spend some time looking at this specific wall configuration with these four walls forming this structural (shear) element. I will probably need to make some adjustments to the code to make this specific configuration possible, there is always more to do.

You are correct in that I originally setup the in-wall column module to always be inset by at least one stud thickness from the corner. It appears that this may have been a bit shortsighted, to be honest off the top of my head I’m not exactly sure why I set it up this way or with this limitation. I agree that it probably makes sense to allow for the corner stud qty. to be set to zero and then allow the user to insert in-wall columns at the corners if they so choose.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it would be great to be able to have 0 studs at the corner.

But I realized, the biggest issue I’m having with this model is related to a shearwall bug I’ve encountered. Not sure if you saw it posted in the Q&A thread. Medeek Extensions Q/A - #165 by Matt

If I try and recreate this in a new model, I can configure shear walls along the long walls, but you can see the end studs of the short walls conflict with the shear wall end post. (I’ve colored the stud red for clarity, and hid the shearwall gypsum). Being able to set the short wall end studs to 0 would solve this conflict.

Version 2.4.4 - 10.12.2021

• Fixed a minor bug with trapezoid and pentagon windows when utilized with the “No Framing” mode.
  • Enabled an option for “zero” start and end wall studs for all wall types.

2 Likes

#FeatureRequest

I have situations where the walls require (2) 2x4 studs at 12" OC.

That would look like this:

For now, I’ve just been increasing the size of the single stud to 3", but it would be great to actually have 2 studs at each location instead of one solid 3" stud.

1 Like

I see this occasionally with apartment building and multi-story housing projects. Let me give this more thought, it might be an easy feature to implement even though it does not seem like it at first.

1 Like

First look at a couple of multi-ply stud walls:

Now I just need to do some further testing to make sure all of the other algorithms work correctly with this type of stud configuration (ie. windows, doors, insulation, blocking).

1 Like

Version 2.4.5 - 10.19.2021

• Added a “Stud Ply” parameter to the Walls tab of the global settings.
  • Enabled double and triple ply studs for rectangular walls.]

!!! WARNING !!!
This update will require that the user delete and recreate their wall presets for rectangular walls. This update does not affect other wall presets or door and window presets.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for implementing this. I’m going to download it and try it out right now.

Unrelated question:

I can’t seem to find an option to configure a door header using (2) 2x4s laid flat like this:

The only thing I can find is one 4x2.

Is it not possible to have this type of header?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. I just needed to enable “Built-up header” in the door opening options.

1 Like

Previously I was issuing educational licenses for the mdkBIM suite at no charge however the shear volume of licenses has begun to overwhelm me and take up too much time (manual license creation).

I’ve now created an easier system to manage which allows me to quickly issue an educational discount code to the student or educator after receiving their credentials or verification.

The new discount code will allow students or educators to purchase the entire mdkBIM suite (permanent license - $280.00) at 10% of the regular cost: $28.00 USD

3 Likes

Version 2.4.6 - 10.22.2021

• Added two additional advanced options for in-wall columns: Top Plt. Cut, Btm Plt. Cut.
  • Added two additional parameters into the Columns tab of the global settings.
  • Fixed a critical bug with the wall copy tool that was created with the prior update.
  • Added error checking code into the rectangular wall edit menu for sheathing, cladding, and gypsum materials.
  • Added error checking code into the window edit menu for the shutter material.

With the in-wall columns I’ve also changed the draw and edit tool so that the columns can be drawn at the end of the walls, there is no longer the one-stud limitation, not even sure why I added that in originally.

1 Like

Version 2.4.7 - 10.24.2021

• Fixed a bug with shed walls for the following end configurations: Inside Corner, Inset Inside Corner.

This fix should resolve the issues we were seeing with the shed wall. I probably missed these bug(s) initially because the inside corner with a shed wall is not very common and sometimes I don’t test every possible permutation even though I should.

I may need to go back into the gable and hip wall modules and test them a bit further.

2 Likes

Version 2.4.7b - 10.25.2021

• Added the following additional Wide Flange (W) beams to the beam module: W10X22, W10X26, W10X30, W10X33, W10X39, W10X45, W12X26, W12X30, W12X35, W12X40.

Gee, and I just went and made a bunch this past week!

1 Like

Let me know if you need anymore standard sizes for the typical steel profiles (W, L, C etc…)

We use W,L,C, Flat & sq tube profiles often!

1 Like

Version 2.4.8 - 10.30.2021

• Added an end cripples option for all window types.

I will probably also need to add in this option for doors and garage doors.

!!! WARNING !!!
This update will require deleting and recreating any window presets. This update will not affect any other preset types (ie. wall, door, garage door etc…)