Medeek Wall Plugin

I agree it does look really cool, but on a floor I don’t think I like the variation where the shadow gap is right at the floor level, it seems that it would just be place for dirt to collect.

I will be enabling vertical offsets in the upcoming advanced gypsum module which will then allow the designer to specify a shadow gap as shown.

but, retrofitting 15 mm plastic angle to cover them is big business. in the UK…

john

Do you mean to cover over the shadow gaps?

exactly…

The highlighted yellow areas are the new additions to the stair menus (draw/edit):

Here is a situation where the finished floor is 2" off of the bottom sub-floor (slab):

Note that the riser heights are correct and that the bottom riser has an additional 2" added to its height. The question I have is what to do with the riser board itself on this bottom tread?

I’ve shown it in the configuration where the finished floor can be applied underneath the riser board however is it more common just to extend the riser board to the bottom of the stringer so that it rests on the sub-floor or slab?

I recently looked back through my pictures and found some closed stringer stairs resting on the subfloor with the bottom of the first riser hanging there with room for the finish floor. I can’t say it’s always that way, but that’s what I was seeing in these particular examples.

I can do either method, but for now I think I will go with the configuration shown, we can always change it up later or add yet another parameter to configure this item, or even link it to the skirt board offset.

Looks like I’ve got the finished floor offsets for top and bottom working correctly and also the side spacers:

Note the overhang of the tread and risers, the gap is either just the gypsum gap or gypsum gap + skirt thickness.

The way it is setup now, you will want to specify the top and bottom points on the sub-floor.

Version 0.9.9n - 11.25.2018

• Added the following options to the stair module: side spacers, skirt boards, finished floor offsets.

When selecting the points to define the stairs you will want to pick sub-floor to sub-floor now that the finished floor offsets are enabled. Stairs created in version 0.9.9m are not backward compatible with this latest version as I have made too many updates and improvements to the code.

Keep sending in your ideas on how to make this module better.

I will be moving back to work on the gable wall module and giving this one a rest for a while unless there is an unresolved bug or critical fix that needs attention. I have a separate “todo” list just for this module.

Open sided staircases is something I’ll need to do some more research/study on:

I was going to mention that with a photo, but you’ve got one here already. As you’ve shown:

• Riser and stringer have miter joints
  • The nosing wraps around and returns to the stringer.
  • Some stairs are open one side, and closed the other. This one’s mixed part way making it even more complicated.
  • Special first tread.

Yes, stairs can get quite complicated as shown by the last image I posted.

With open sided stairs the tread will typically overhang the stringer so that the nosing wraps around.

Both sides can be open sided full or partial so it does get a bit complicated.

I have no idea on mitering risers and stringers but I will need to look at that at some point.

A special first tread is also common as is the first baluster or post. Then there is the hand rail and possibly the balusters which forms a balustrade.

I’m really not wanting to dive into this too deep but at the same time I would like it have it flexible enough for most designers to represent a simple staircase in their design.

I could go so far as to dive into housed stringers but that is really above and beyond the scope of the plugin or at least what I am willing to consider right now.

Then there are landings, curved staircases, spirals, free standing, single stringer systems, steel and concrete stairs, etc…

However, I am very curious right now on how exactly one would frame up the stair stringers for the partially open staircase shown in the photo above, assuming that side spacers are employed and skirt boards.

On a related note I am wondering what the best text book on stair construction is that is out there. I am not looking for traditional designs or methods per say but would like to have a practical text that covers modern methods and materials. I would like the stair module to handle 80-90% of most stair designs that are utilized in your typical mid-range homes.

The elaborate mansions with their spiraling and flaring staircases are probably beyond the scope of the stair module at this time. If that type of staircase is required I would strongly suggest more specialized stair plugins such as Garry Kernan’s Stair Maker.

Well, I mentioned Andy Engel’s book above. A Treatise on Stairbuilding and Handrailing is a great reference, but exactly not what you’re looking for.

I am going to get this text as well just because it is a classic but I am also looking for my modern practical texts that cover the subject matter.

The classic stair building treatise is from Mowat in 1997 - NOT by Andrew Engel which was written in 2007.

Version 0.9.9o - 11.26.2018

• Completed the Stairs tab within the global settings.
  • Added the ability to draw a “Clearance Envelope” with an additional global parameter for specifying the minimum headroom.
  • Added a Building Code layer and an Engineering layer to the Layers tab of the global settings.

The clearance envelope (if enabled) is placed on the “code” layer. For future reference all code related items and warnings will be placed on this layer. The engineering layer will be used for engineering callouts, warnings and other related items.

The envelope is placed exactly and if the nosing is rounded then the envelope is translated a specific amount so that the tread line is tangent to the nosing. If anyone is interested the horizontal translation is given by this expression:

x_trans = r/tan(theta) - r/sin(theta) + r

where:

r = radius of the bullnose or 1/2 tread thickness.
theta = angle of stringer from the horizontal

Hopefully the clearance envelope is useful to designers who want to check that their framed openings for their staircases are code compliant.

Have you included the optional envelope enabled by the optional appendix to the 2018 IBC that eases the requirements for tiny homes?

For tiny homes per the 2018 IBC (Sec. AQ104.2.1) you are allowed a min. width of 20 inches (stairs) and a min. headroom of 6’-2". Max. rise height is 12". Tread depth shall be 20" minus 4/3 of the riser height.

In the plugin you can set the width, headroom (global), max. riser height and tread depth of each stairway.

One thing I have not shown yet is the handrail, which will accordingly decrease the net width of the stairs. Per section AQ104.2.1.1 the clear width at or above the handrail shall be not less than 17 inches.

Now that I’m about halfway down this rabbit hole (stair module), I should probably go a bit further. Most stairs need a hand rail:

Additional advanced option: Handrails (Yes or No)

Then the handrail options shall be:

1.) Profile: Circle, Square, Custom1, Custom2 etc… (or any user defined profiles from sub-folder)
2.) Position: Left, Right, Both
3.) Height: 36" (default), vertical distance from tread line to top of handrail.
4.) Size: 1.5" (default), only applicable to circle and square profiles.
5.) Clearance: 1.5" (default), distance from inside edge of handrail to wall (gypsum).
6.) End Treatment: Cut/Vertical/Return (return shown above)
7.) Handrail Material: Default materials and custom materials from library

I think these seven parameters are enough to define a basic handrail(s) for a straight run of stairs as shown. The option to have a vertical end treatment will allow the user to insert newel posts, however I am not really giving the option to customize where exactly the handrail will terminate so there may be some manual editing required.

With regards to manual edits, similar to the wall assemblies, the user can include custom groups or components within the stair assembly group and have them retained simply by including the text “custom” or “CUSTOM” somewhere in the instance name. If the stair assembly is then edited or regenerated by the plugin these custom entities will not be blown away but will maintain their position and properties within the main group. So theoretically one could insert any number of items such as balusters, newel posts, additional molding etc…