Medeek Electrical

In general, NEMA 6-xx is going the way of the dodo. More and more we’re selling 14-xx where we used to sell 6-xx. I think this is a consequence of the general trend towards more “smarter” appliances, welders, etc. where the electronics are powered (inside the appliance) by commonly available 120V power supplies - which when applied to a 240V main function, requires a neutral. Hence 14-xx instead of 6-xx.

Other plug and cord connected loads we see occasionally:

Ovens and cooktops that aren’t combined in a range.

High end hobbyist shop equipment: CNC machines (routers, mills), table saws, band saws, jointers, planers, etc.

Perhaps, for dedicated loads, a menu for configuration (Amps, Volts) and another one for purpose (range, welder, dryer, etc.)

The wikipedia article on the NEMA standard was quite enlightening in this respect. I kind of figured that the 6-xx was a thing of the past because I’ve never seen it recently.

I will provide the same 14-xx outlet in 30 and 50 amp without the dryer or range designation, for those applications that are something other than those two typical residential usages.

I was looking at Square D service panels (load centers) last night and I’m most familiar with their QO product, not a huge fan of the cheaper Homelite product line. I can’t seem to find any decent drawings or dimensions for these enclosures other than the overall size. If anyone can direct me to a resource which will allow me to model these up with some accuracy I would like to add in a handful of service panels.

I’m probably not going to dive too deeply into the load center module right now, only providing a basic model and label, but eventually it would be nice if one could assign specific outlets, switch and light fixtures to a given circuit/circuit breaker. There is a lot that can be done with this sort of thing.

Should it be called 220v, and not 240v? UK 240v sockets are different to all of those, and US plugs that use all the wires ought to be 2x 110v, shouldn’t they?

I’ve read that 110v is typically 120v anyway, so I’m more asking about the name they are called, and not the voltage that comes out of them.

Here’s a page that seems to call them the names I thought they had:

https://www.askmediy.com/220-volt-plugs-receptacles-configurations/

The standard voltage in the US is now 120 volts, the two legs then produce 240 volts (red and black). Originally the voltage started at 110 volts and then later increased to 117 volts and jumped up to 120 volts in 1967. The terminology 110v and 220v has stuck though, working on my dad’s farm as a kid I still remember him telling me to pull out the 220 cords for the welders, conveyor belts etc…

What type of electrical boxes are preferred for low voltage applications? Data, phone and cable.

I’m thinking the orange PVC carlon boxes but I thought it might be best to ask what is the typical installation. I’ve also used the blue carlon boxes in the past for data.

For low voltage, we most often sell devices that aren’t boxes!

For one or two gang, what we sell most is just the ring only for a 4square box. With wood construction, you just screw one side onto the face of the stud. And there are clips for doing the same sort of thing on metal studs.

There are also special low voltage boxes with no back.

When end users want a combination of line voltage and low voltage, we sell Carlon boxes and dividers.

Arlington Industries has a lot of solutions for low voltage, as well as recessed systems for use behind a wall mounted TV.

Were I to be building a home for myself, for low voltage, I’d use a box or specialty fitting that holds the end of 3/4" conduit. And I’d run blue Smurf Tube (aka Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing aka ENT) in a home run configuration back to wherever my low voltage distribution panel is planned.

For low voltage I am going to start with only one style for now and that is the Leviton Quickport system:

The advantage with this system in my opinion is that there will be less electrical boxes to install since you can get more than one outlet per box (max. is 6 ports for a single gang box).

My only problem now is how to show this type of port on the electrical plan. Typically I would have a symbol for TV, Phone and/or Data. However, what does one show when you have a situation like above where all three data types are compressed into one box. Even worse, what if I have the 6 port version and have one phone jack, two CAT6 jacks, two coax jacks and a blank?

What is the preferred convention? If there is one.

Additionally there is the 2-gang low voltage box (Carlon SC200AR) which can be fitted with a Quickport face plate and have a maximum of 12 separate ports, yikes.

That possible range of uses is why I’d install the Smurf Tube. Quite simply, it lets me worry about things later!

Often, the architect and electrician don’t know the specifics of what’s needed at each outlet. Many of the end users (customers of our contractors) are smart home enthusiasts that say “Just give me the path, my Smart Home provider will pull the wire and provide the necessary outlets.”

As far as the 2D call out goes, how about just “LV”? As for a 3D representation, I’d suggest just a 3 port QuickPort WITHOUT installed jacks. It’s a decent representation of what will be - at a level of detail that’s reasonable.

The low voltage components that will be utilized in the Medeek Electrical extension:

This collection is only the QuickPort components there is also the QuickPlate and Decora styles that I have not gotten to yet.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/networking/wallplates/quickplate-wallplates

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/networking/wallplates/decora-wallplates

I agree. The smurf tube is some nice stuff. After installing some of it myself on my brother’s new house a couple of years ago I would recommend the 3/4" and not the 1/2", its too hard to pull wire through the smaller stuff based on my experience, if you got a lot of wires.

For that project I used the Carlon orange low voltage boxes and the smurf tube. I pulled coax and two CAT6 cables through just about every tube. They all were home runned back to two media boxes in the basement (furnace room).

I think I have a plan for the 2D symbols for low voltage.

I’ve also added in the RCA QuickPort by request.

You will be able to assign a unique QuickPort outlet to each port of the wall plate and also assign it its own unique color if you choose (this will be important for people who are color coding network jacks).

Agreed. Most emphatically.

Is the Electrical plugin available somewhere on your website?

Not quite yet, but hopefully I’ll have it far enough along so I can post up the BETA version in a couple of days.

The updated toolbar:

I will leave it up to inquiring minds to figure out what all these icons mean. :slight_smile:

The low voltage module is working pretty good now. I just need to wrap up the 2D symbols and then we will see if I can put together a few typical load centers, and then its out to the public for some BETA testing.

A 2-gang, 12 port low voltage box is probably your worst case scenario:

Each port can be assigned one of the following:

• CAT6
  • CAT5e
  • COAX
  • PHONE (RJ11)
  • RCA (Audio/Video, gold plated)
  • BLANK (Plastic Insert)

Additionally each port has its own unique material/color which by default is “White”. The faceplate can also be assigned a unique material/color.

Similar to other outlets the advanced options can be enabled which allows for vertical or horizontal mounting.

The number of possible QuickPorts is limited to the following:

1-Gang: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
2-Gang: 8, 12

There are additional 2-Gang QuickPort wall plates that I have not added. I will only add these if requested, since they are already covered by the 1-Gang option.

No. The worst case is 6 port Decora Quick Port Inserts filled with CAT6. The ports are slightly closer together than the non-Decora and CAT6 becomes extermely hard to terminate when they’re that close together!

Long ago, I was a California C61 contractor (before the C10 Low Voltage existed), and I’ve done occasional work since. About 3 years ago, a C10 friend asked my help on a job.

The job was to terminate 24 CAT6 runs in a 4 gang box, with a 4 port Decora cover plate and 4 6 port inserts. What made it more insane is that this was in an equipment room where nobody cared about aesthetics - except the owner. He insisted that we couldn’t have wires coming out of the wall to a surface mounted patch panel - it took me almost 18 hours to get the terminations exactly right so that I could mount each jack in the cover!

NEVER again will I agree to a job - not even at $500/hour - where somebody wants more than 4 CAT6 terminations/gang.

Various combinations of QuickPorts yields a number of possible 2D symbols:

I’ve tried to stay with conventional symbols as much as possible. Please let me know what you think on this.

Okay, you’re right, that does sound insane. What was this for? A collocation or server farm?

For most residential and even commercial applications I don’t think too many people will exceed twelve RJ45 jacks, but I could be wrong.

I retro’d a 6-port one in my office and my wife thought I was nuts, she’s right of course I’ve only ever used one of the lines coming from the garage.