Medeek Electrical

The second toolbar will now include an icon for floor mounted outlets:

electrical_ii_su_menu_active

With a floor mounted outlet I’m not really sure where to place the 2D symbol. Technically it should be centered on the outlet, but then it won’t be visible. The label can be under the symbol similar to ceiling mounted fixtures.

I’m also thinking about adding in another tool for electrical components (misc.) that do not typically include a rough in box:

• thermostat
  • doorbell button
  • security alarm
  • doorbell chime
  • doorbell transformer

amazing the differences between the codes US vs EU

1 Like

Must disagree with you here. Doorbell transformers DO require a box of some kind. The line voltage side must be enclosed - and the transformer generally mounts on a knockout, with the line voltage connections inside the box and the low voltage connections on the outside.

I’ve worked for an electrical distributor for almost 16 years. The most common is a installation is a single gang rough-in box with a cover that has a single, 1/2" (trade size) knockout - in which the transformer is mounted.They’re usually placed in a garage, closet, or other utility space where the transformer won’t clash with the aesthetics of the more finished areas.

I’ve also sold them with 3/O or 4/O boxes (and corresponding cover), although FAR less frequently.

1 Like

I agree that they do require some form of box but I’ve seen them mounted on the wall away from the junction box. To be honest I’ve never looked very closely at very many DB transformer installations so I do need to study this one a bit more:

doorbell-wiring-pic4

Then there is this:

and this:

This seems to be one of those electrical items that does not have a clearly defined installation method. The internet is showing me a real hodge podge of common installation methods, some of which are probably a bit questionable.

Of the six pictures, 5 of them are installed as I described: With the transformer outside the box, but the line voltage connections inside the box. OK, it looks like one of them the transformer is actually part of the box cover - but it still - nearly - fits my description. The one that’s different, the first one, has, I’m sure, never been inspected - or at least not by a competent inspector! The line voltage wires are not enclosed in any kind of protection - and that just isn’t safe, much less to code.

1 Like

Version 1.0.9 - 11.24.2019

• Added the “Draw Floor Outlets” and the “Draw Misc. Fixture” function to the secondary toolbar.
  • Enabled the ability to draw misc. fixtures with Medeek wall assemblies or any wall geometry. Enabled misc. devices include: Thermostats, doorbell buttons, doorbell chimes, and doorbell transformers.

View model here:

Additional fixture components (ie. other manufacturer’s doorbell models etc…) can easily be utilized by placing them into the appropriate sub-folder of the plugin’s library/misc sub-folder.

is it a ‘nested’ component? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Misc. fixtures added to legend tool:

Version 1.1.0 - 12.01.2019

• Fixed a minor bug in the General tab of the global settings.
  • Enabled the ability to draw floor and ceiling outlets.

The included outlets: Raco 5500, Leviton 25249 (Nickel and Brass) Series, Standard Duplex Outlet.

The plugin automatically detects whether the outlet is a floor or ceiling outlet and assigns the appropriate symbol. This may require some further refinement for outlets mounted to slightly inclined floor or ceiling surfaces, I will be testing this particular situation further.

User defined outlets can be utilized by dropping the component files into the appropriate library sub-folders: library/fc_rcpt/gang1 or library/fc_rcpt/gang2

The default label for floor/ceiling outlets is ‘RCPT’, however this can be set independently from wall mount outlets in the global settings.

If there are any specific floor outlets that you would like to see included with the plugin please let me know. If you already have a model that would be even better. If I receive a model for an electrical component I typically analyze it and try to make it as low poly as possible while still retaining accurate product dimensions and key features.

Can you give me more specifics on the 240V 20amp receptacle. What type of receptacle is this (NEMA designation). Wall or ceiling mounted?

20 Amp, 250 Volt, NEMA 6-20R, 2-Pole, 3-Wire, Narrow Body Single Receptacle, Straight Blade, both ceiling and wall mounts.

Thanks

1 Like

It looks like it comes in single receptacle and duplex.

Single for my uses.

1 Like

Has anyone ever seen or used a symbol for a duplex switch?

Version 1.1.1 - 12.04.2019

• Added additional 240V duplex and simplex outlets to the built-in library: NEMA 6-15R and NEMA 6-20R.
  • Added some simplex outlets to the floor outlet built-in library.

I’m wondering with the undesignated 240V outlets if I should provide the NEMA number (ie. 6-20R) next to the 2D symbol. I would assume that this would be very useful information, a 240V receptacle can take many forms and various amperages.

Version 1.1.1b - 12.04.2019

• Added more 20A (NEMA 5-20R) outlets to the outlet module: GFCI, WP GFCI, USB etc…

Creating a few new electrical components gives me a much needed break from the code and is actually quite relaxing. I’m at the most difficult part of the complex roof module, so I’m taking a couple days to clear my head so that I can take a fresh crack at it and allow myself to think outside the box if required. I find that sometimes it helps to take a break sometimes, which effectively takes the blinders off, and then alternative (better) solutions almost magically appear.

If there are any specific outlet or fixture types you would like added please email me.

I apologize that I have not provided a solution for other electrical standards yet. Eventually I will do this but I’m not ready to bite it off just yet.

Even if you do not purchase the plugin, I think it would be worthwhile to download the trial version just for all of the pre-built electrical components now available in the library sub-folder. Of course, I would prefer that you purchase the plugin but if you don’t need the parametrics and some of the other automated features then even the trial version and the library files might be quite useful.

1 Like