MAYDAY: SU 2018 texture mapping goes all wrong during DAE export

Hi there,

I ran in big problems with SU 2018, so I hope someone can give me the right direction :wink:

I used to have a rock solid workflow with 2016 PRO, creating models for commercial game addons:

1. Modeling and texture mapping with SU 2016
  2. Export models as Collada file
  3. Import Collada file into a special tool (ModelconverterX) to add game specific material settings
  4. Export with that tool through game SDK compiler

A straight forward and well working process for several years now (including the predecessor of SU 2016)

Today I exported my first model created with SU 2018 and got a texture mess.
I mapped the model shown in the screenshot with one single texture. Beginning by putting the texture on one face, adjust size and orientation until it fits and then copy and paste the texture to the next face and adjust it again. It looks good in SU but the exported DAE file then contains several instances of the same texture, all with an added numbers to the filename. Additionally the texture mapping is almost completely messed up.

How can I solve this?! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Volker

P.S. I don’t use any 3rd party plugins in SU. I only work with plain simple standard SU tools.

Just out of curiosity, can you show a screen grab of the model in SketchUp with the face style set to Monochrome?

It looks like it’s possibly a scaling issue. Make a copy of the model, explode all groups/components, and try again?

1 Like

Sure

Not as many reversed faces as I expected. You should correct the reversed ones, though.

What about trying what Forestr suggested?

1 Like

What happens if you ‘save as’ to version 2016 and import that into your converter?

[File]->Save As

1 Like

It looks like the model in ModelConverterX has the UV coordinates reset to each face’s bounds (for example the face top left corner has UV 0,0 ). Maybe ModelConverterX cannot read the format of UV coordinates how SketchUp saves them.

• Try to import the .dae file in another program that can read Collada files. If the textures display correctly, then it is a limitation of ModelConverterX’s Collada support and you could report it in their forum or bug tracker.
  • Try to export the SketchUp model in another textured format that ModelConverterX can read (for example .obj).
  • Possibly there exists an earlier version of SketchUp that has a simpler Collada exporter (that uses less advanced Collada features that have wider support by other softwares).
1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I was able to fix it (for now). As Forestr suggested I did the texture mapping from scratch again. I copied the model in a new blank SU scene, deleted the material/texture-sheet and made a new material and mapped it. After finishing that process, I copied the complete model back in my main scene (other SU file) and the export was then ok!

I somehow have the feeling that SU 2018 has problems to handle huge scenes. Maybe especially when these scenes initially have been made with older SU versions?!
I have one SU master file (which I started work on about 3 years ago). This scene contains the complete geometry of my scenery addon (airport extension for Flight Simulator). Filesize is almost 2 GB, approx. 750000 polygons in total and about 40 materials. I had no problems in the past (with SU 2016) to constantly add new geometry and add materials.
Problem began when starting to work with SU 2018 on that file. And it seems to be a SU problem (not one of the compiler tool), because SU exported these almost 50 instances of my texture file. Never had this before.

Thanks again!
Volker

1 Like

I’m glad you figured it out! Your airport model is amazing! :+1: