[Maxwell Render] Permision Denied Error

I get the following error, when opening Sketchup, after I installed Maxwell. It is the first plugin I installed, I have no other plugins.

Error: #<Errno::EACCES: Permission denied - C:/Users/Ioannis/Documents/Maxwell/SketchUp/settings.json>
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/lib/io/filename.rb:221:in initialize' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/lib/io/filename.rb:221:in open’
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/lib/io/filename.rb:221:in write' c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:50:in serialize’
c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:100:in set' c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:130:in trace=’
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/lib/options.rb:35:in trace=' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/lib/options.rb:23:in init_trace’
c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:70:in deserialize' c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:75:in init’
c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:301:in <module:MX>' c:/programdata/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/maxwell/lib/settings.rbs:7:in
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/init.rb:169:in eval' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/init.rb:169:in require’
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell/init.rb:169:in <top (required)>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell.rb:33:in register_extension’
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell.rb:33:in <module:MX>' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/maxwell.rb:15:in <top (required)>’

The plugin doesn’t work correctly.
I recently updated to windows 10. Is there something I can do to get over with this?

It looks like you’ve neglected to grant rights to write to the Plugins folder in Program Files. Windows secured the Program Files directory to prevent unauthorized installation of files there that could harm your system. For that reason, plugins and extensions are supposed to go into User/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins instead.

How did you install the Maxwell extension?

Before you do anything else to fix this, you should remove all Maxwell-related files from C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/

I executed the installer, provided by maxwell.

I don’t know what I need to do in order to fix this. The installer doesn’t let the user provide an installation path.

Is this the most current version of the installer? Did you get it directly from Maxwell?

You could change the permissions for the Plugins folder if you must. Still, remove the files you’ve installed and reinstall after updating the permissions.

This is a screenshot I made the other day for the Materials folder but the process is the same.

Navigate to the Plugins folder, right click and choose Properties.Then Securityand click on Edit. Select your user and edit the permissions to allow.

… is NOT the same as %ProgramFiles%, ie, "C:/Program Files" or "C:/Program Files (x86)"

%ProgramData% is the newer name for %AllUsersProfile% (which was used on older Windows versions prior to Vista.)

Extensions installed in the %ProgramData% folder hierarchy, will be available to all users who log onto the workstation, without each user needing to install it.

But it IS a permissions issue. (However writing into the %ProgramData% path whilst a user is using SketchUp is a bad idea. Extensions should save user specific data into each user’s %AppData% path, to which they should always have full permissions.)

@yiannifun: Allways run installers “As Administrator”. This includes SketchUp and Maxwell installers. Right-click installer executables, and choose “Run as administrator” from the popup menu.

Also you can set SketchUp to run in Administrative mode, by right-clicking the SketchUp icon, choose “Properties”, switch to the “Compatibility” tab, and:

@DaveR,
@DanRathbun,
I feel greatful to you. I want to thank you both for the time you spent trying to help me.
After following DanRathbun’s advice, everything works fine.

1 Like