Materials with transparency automatically duplicate when being applied

Disabling the extension does not work, because probably, the used materials are affected.
I noticed that the standard list (Glass and Mirror) works fine, as soon as you edit the material, it goes haywire.
I totally agree that this must be resolved.

One question: Is this an issue with SU or is it in the Mac OS?

there are at least two separate issues…

it’s primarily an issue with Twilight and a few other renders that tag the skm files with illegal [on a mac] characters…

another is the ‘new’ graphics engine which makes a blank ‘copy’ first and then often ‘renames’ the new ‘desired’ material using the generic ‘Material#xxx’ as they all now are issued with unique names…

any easy to process material seem to make it through ok, but any large textures or badly ‘tagged’ skm files appear to cause this issue…

colours without texture also loose their names…

my ‘hunch’ is the web materials editor will replace both OS versions when it is mature enough…

if that’s the case then any work one existing issues will not be pursued unless trivial…

for my own materials browser I rewrite all the skm files with properly optimised images and purge ‘all’ the renderers nonsense…

john

john

1 Like

So this is a problem that the third party renderers need to fix?

It takes two to tango, the extensibility of the host is a major selling point.

they may have already, but the world is full of the old, shared, broken files…

they need to be handled individually…

I’m working on a cross platform materials ‘cleaner’ as part of my browser…

EDIT: the fact they load and run on windows is partly why it’s an easier target for exploits…

john

2 Likes

So it should definitely be implemented in the renderbots of the Warehouse, for starters.

I use V-Ray, same problem.

1 Like

Has nothing to do with extensions. It’s happening on me ENTIRE TEAM using 18 licenses of sketchup on clean installs. It’s been happening for years and it is feeling absolutely ignored.

1 Like

How can you say this when it happens when there are no rendering plugins used? The problem is with sketchup and it should be addressed as a top priority. It is a crippled function that is essential to good modeling.

1 Like

Nope. Because it still happens without any 3rd party extensions installed.

2 Likes

Perhaps not the extensions, but the materials it created.
They could be anywhere…
I have not been able to replicate this on a clean install.
What steps should I take?

Not sure. It seems to happen soon after creating a material, dropping transparency, and then editing it later. Ultimately it requires using the paint bucket eye dropper to select and paint that material onto a new group.

It seems to happen with materials created in sketchup. I have never even created a material outside of sketchup.

Are your materials stored on the Network?

Nope. Nothing like that. It’s just a bug on the Mac version we have.

You could easily replicate it by watching the video I uploaded on the original post, if it had not been deleted…

1 Like

Deploying on network has never been implemented very well.
There is no ‘network’ version of SketchUp, it is just the regular one…
With the new Subscriptions and currently the need to sign in for contents of Warehouses this should be addressed

Somehow, I cannot see the vid
Did you see the thread I linked to in the second post?

I said it was ONE of the issues, you may only be experiencing another or you may be unknowingly using bad materials…

over the past last 3 years I have successfully cleaned and optimised over 5000 misbehaving skm files for a number of forum members and a large external repository…

the two primary issues are corrupt data added by extensions and bloated size due to PS originals or screen grabs…

I was originally doing this manually, so it was in my interest to pin point common causes so I could automate the process…

many of the ‘corrupt’ files were in models where ‘no renderer’ was used in the creation…

the materials had come from other components and/or the users library…

my current optimiser save over 80 MB in a 126 MB Materials Folder…

I have have had similar results on single models…

john

4 Likes