Materials with transparency automatically duplicate when being applied

Ya know, if you want this fixed, and only one SketchUp employee tries to help by linking this thread to the bug and bringing attention to it, and then I get a notice that multiple people click that it’s spam, you’re not helping. This bug upsets me on multiple levels, but please don’t do this.

4 Likes

I am a veteran SketchUp user of 12 years and having this strange issue as well. I have dozens of duplicate transparent materials. Please help!

3 Likes

I am also having this issue, our whole office is! We work in the A&D world and use Sketchup daily, all primarily on MacOS. We have high standards to keep things running efficiently. This problem happens with transparent materials & solid materials alike, making our material libraries excessively large - and files much larger on a small server.

Sketchup – this is a HUGE problem for us! Can anyone offer any insight into a solution? (Without an employee jumping down my throat here… are you guys still working on this?)

5 Likes

Best of luck.

This issue should be improved for 2019, but I don’t know that it’s fixed. Is anyone still seeing it in the latest download release of 2019? Do you notice it happening less? One user reported that the duplicate only happens once now.

2 Likes

Yep, still happening for me, so frustrating.

3 Likes

I updated to 2019.2 and it is still happening, please sketchup can you confirm when this unworkable bug is going to be fixed?!

3 Likes

Only once, or multiple times?

Hi Barry! We have a couple of users at my office that are experiencing this very issue, and we’d love to find a way to help you diagnose the issue. How can we help?

3 Likes

Hello, I just realised that after a purge, the materials duplicate themselves just by picking them with the eyedropper, 1 copy per click, endlessly.
Any news on a fix, as 2019.2 didn’t addressed this issue ?
Thanks.

2 Likes

WHY IS THIS PROBLEM NOT FIXED?!?!?!

This problem was addressed almost a year ago! Your lucky that people have put the time and effort into making extensions to Sketchup so your program is still “kind of” relevant otherwise this program would die over night.
Actually it should go disappear along with the people who are not doing their jobs, because I can’t!! All my time is spent deleting 10000000K extra materials.

2 Likes

Just to have them replaced with the default material … and the cycle continues.

1 Like

I’ve have occasional success by only using the Entity Info panel to assign materials, and strictly avoiding using the eyedropper or bucket. I’ve been able to fix files by using the Entity Info panel to
re-assign the original material to the face to which the duplicate had been created and assigned.
I first identify the face carrying the duplicated material by changing the color of the duplicated material using the Colors/Material browser panel.
I then select that face in the model, and in the Entity Info Panel, I click the front-facing, or back-facing faulty material assignment preview box, and then select the original material from the Colors-Material Panel-Browser.
I then can successfully purge, or delete the duplicated materials.

I’ve noted that edges need to be assigned separately from faces, otherwise the duplication persists. That is- merely selected all objects and attempting to assign a material using the Entity Info panel is not effective at addressing all face and edges. Also If the Entity Info panel shows a “?” question mark, indicating that faces/edges with multiple material are selected, then the total reassignment fails.

2 Likes

Yep - it’s not just transparent mats. It’s all of them.

I’ve been dealing with this problem for two years running. I have yet to find a simple solution, although being aware of it helps so at least I can catch the dupes when they happen. Here is a summary of what I have seen:

• edits to a mat applied from my own custom library will only update the object if it is edited in the “colors in model” library. if you edit it in the custom library it does not update in the object. you will also likely have two mats with the same name - one in each library.
  • there is huge confusion between the Mac “color picker” toolbar and the mat library. I think this is where some of the dupes and editing problems are occurring. It is impossible to tell whether the current material is the one that is selected in the library or the one that is selected in the picker. I have not found a workaround to this - you just have to be vigilant
  • like @f24nk I have also found this to be a satisfactory workaround. you can also drag a material to the material icon in the entity info panel

There’s more, but I don’t have time. In all, it has become nearly impossible to work in a model with materials that require endless tweaking. I am always needing to substitute another pattern or texture to show options. For the past two years, I cannot reliably do that. I make the edit and nothing in my model changes.

In general, whenever I apply a material I watch the mat browser in “colors in model” to make sure a duplicate isn’t created. Using the entity info panel helps prevent the duplicate. Do not apply materials directly from a different mat library - select them, make sure it appears in the Mac color picker current window, go to “colors in model” and drag it up into that library. Make all future edits from there.

These complicated steps do not guarantee that dupes will not be made, but it does reduce them… I cannot believe that SketchUp has not even remotely been looking at this problem. No updates, no patches, and not even addressed in 2019. They are downright ignoring it.

I am on the lookout officially for a new modeling platform. VERY disappointed.

3 Likes

Materials editor on Mac suck since forever, and they never did anything to make it better, which is beyond my comprehension since many many Mac users have complained about it for years.
When I try to tweak a material texture, it instantly turn to black and white, and I need to reset, 1, 2 sometimes 3 times before I can edit its colours appearance, so when I just want to slightly tweak it, the reset make it impossible, and need to start from scratch every time, it’s a real pain and waist of time.
Sketchup is supposed to be fast and save time, but those stupid bugs does the exact opposite, make no sense.
When I use the colour picker, it really often do not even highlight it in the library, make it impossible to find it.
Just to name a few.

3 Likes

It has no use to pin this on SketchUp Team members, individually. Besides being against Forum Guidelines, this should address the whole team…

Wow. They totally ignore a serious problem with their product for years, but when called out on it they suddenly respond with hurt feelings…???

No one was insulted. We just want solutions. It’s not like this is freeware - we are professionals who have paid for the product and expect support. A fatal flaw such as this renders the app practically unusable. Maybe we’ll start sending Trimble invoices for all the time we waste trying to work around it.

If calling out members of the team individually is the only thing that gets attention, then so be it. I’ve even agreed to beta test to help, but was blown off.

I’m currently looking for an alternative. Think about all your professional users on Mac platforms leaving. Hurt fee-fees will be the least of Trimble’s problems.

2 Likes

Question: Do you have extensions running?
I know two for certain, but the list is probably bigger.

Double Cut
V-Ray

Yes - Twilight Render. I have tried running it disabled, but no dice.

All my renderings finish with Twilight, so having to abandon it would also be a deal breaker.