Masterplans and Urban Planning Workflow

Hey Guys,

Lately, I was involved in many Masterplans projects and feasibility studies.
SketchUp is a great tool for these, but usually, main clients concern is fee and areas.
Using dynamic components and proper naming I can easily extract all the information.
The only problem I have is extracting areas quickly.

Could you please share your workflow:

1. How you build the model
  2. Are you using Excel and Pivot tables
  3. What is the process of extracting data from SketchUp

Here is my usual scenario.

1. Developing 3-4 options of Masterplan or Land Use Plan (with simple building blocks)
  2. Extracting area one by one clicking on a face.
  3. Puting all this data into excel (takes a long time)
  4. The fun part, Clint wants to change all options and I left with 1-2 days to everything again.

Thanks for sharing and your advice.

Had you have a look at Estimator ?
You can assign materials and square footage costs very quickly:

or apply costs to volumes in layers :

what is excel ?

Hi Mike,
Thanks you very much for sharing, it looks like amazing tool, but to be honest it cost a lot for what it is and it is too complicated for a simple tasks I make.

Say I have different building types/topologies residential, villas, offices every building typology has 3 different building forms and number of stories. And in total I have 120 buildings on a masterplan. With 45 plots.

I need automatically extract area of each floor of every building with totals.
Usually residential buildings will be build from multiple components which represent apartments, so for every residential building I need to extract area of every apartment and their quality.

Plot area is easy, I don’t need a plugins for it. I can do it manually.

So I need all this information , ideally, as a raw data table , so I can then use Pivot tables in Microsoft Excel to prepare reports and calculate , number of cars, population, apartments mix… and compare different options

Cheers

Does any one has a better approach ?
Cheers

Take a look at this one:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/modelur-urban-design

Yep. It is very good, but the cost !

I thought architects and urban designers can share their workflows here.

I use Profile Builder 2 to do what estimator does. You can build assemblies with it too, that allow you to design parametrically, so you could design your buildings with it.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.