Making terrain after house is constructed problem

I constructed the whole house.
As a nice little finnish I have downloaded a 1:1 geometrical map of my property.
I have placed the house correctly onto this map.
(I am only going to use this map as a guide to where things on property are located.)

But when I start making a sandbox from scratch over the terrain on my property,
and then explode it, suddenly the whole house becomes “infected” with terrain points.
If I then try to smoove points from the curves the points on the house becomes “skeeved”
and it looks like something Tim Burton would make.
I suspect this is because of the “glue” function in SU.

Is it any way I can make this terrain separate from the house?

(And one more thing: When I explode the terrain grid, I have to use alt+backspace like 300 times
as one explode counts as one triangel. Really annoying)

Really appreciate if someone could lead me in the right direction.

trondster

Is your house a separate group or component? It shouldn’t be affected if it is.

I am not really sure.
I have just built it, piece by piece.
Should I select the whole geometry of the house and make it a group? (or component?)
(I really want to be able to modify parts and addons later on)

I definitely would. I always use groups and components to isolate the different pieces of my structure. You can always double-click on a group to edit its construction later.

So I presume what’s happening is that your house is not grouped, and you’re exploding the Sandbox group, so now the mesh and the house are all “equal” (as far as the program is concerned) and the Sandbox tools think you want it all edited as one big happy entity. You want to at least keep the Sandbox mesh isolated so that Sandbox only changes what it’s supposed to. Hope that’s clear.

How on earth did you manage to make the house all in one collection of faces and edges? I admire your patience and persistence!

As @MobelDesign says, it’s MUCH better to make the house as a collection of components, so their geometry doesn’t interfere.

For example, walls, each window, roof surface, roof joists and rafters (if you show that level of detail) , doors - all separate components.

2 Likes

Hehe, thanks. I dont have much hair left. Spent a loooong time doing this. But everything is now accurate down to the last centimetre.
As a beginner in these kind of programs it took some time before I learned the difference between components and group. (and that they even excisted)
So I am not doing it like this again, that is for sure.

But it looks pretty nice.
It worked making the whole house into one component.

Even though I find it hard to sculpt the terrain in an accurate way.
The exploded terrain triangles seems to big. It affects to much, and it seems that making straight
edges on a hill i different directions is not the easiest thing to do.
Is there a tool that smoothes out the whole terrain when you are done?
As of right now it looks like I have gerbil infestation :slight_smile:
Hehe. The quest goes on.

Thanks for excellent help and patience.

Be sure to check out the various techiniques used by Daniel Tal.

Here is a video on site grading - SketchUp Introduction to Site Grading Presented by Daniel Tal on Vimeo
… and of course, you can get his book SketchUp for Site Design

Cheers
CD

1 Like

So we have solutions for what could have / should have be done but what is it for what has already been done.
trondster :suggest you post your model maybe some one can back out damage already done?
My guess is many of those indicated vertices are really artifacts from the house model effort. Given that hidden wireframe rendering is not selectable ( I have not check this lately ) it may be possible to select large portions of you model and use componets / groups and layers so you do not have to spend lots of time re-modeling but you need to post model if you can / willing to do that.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.