Making bumps on object

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to sketchup but do know how to do a few things. I am trying to make a design that looks like a link I am going to post below. I want to have a circle but I also want to put curved areas on the object like in the picture. If you look at the pictures in the link you will see the top and bottom side

This link shows how the top and bottom of the plate looks.

This link is what I am trying to draw.

I have never worked with curves like this before, I only know how to do basic stuff in sketchup so far like squares and circles, push/pull etc.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Here’s something that might give you some ideas for the first image. Start with a circle and Push/Pull it to your desired thickness to form the base keeping the top of it on the red/green plane. Draw a circle with the center on the origin to use as a path for Follow Me. Then draw half a sausage shape in position with the base of that sitting on the top face of the base.

I think you’ll run into some small face issues so, make the sausage and the circle a Component and then use The Dave Method to run Follow Me using the circle as a path for the half sausage to follow. Make sure you orient the faces so the inside is outwards for later.

Delete the scaled up copy and then explode the sausage component and delete the circle, you don’t need that now. Select everything, right click and select “intersect faces”>“with selection”. You now have made the sausage face intersect with the base, as shown below…

Now select and delete the top half of the sausage and then the face below that which hides the hollow below…

Select all of the hollow part and use Copy Rotate to copy it around the origin to create the array…

Sit back and have a cup of tea. This doesn’t have a rounded top edge to the hollow as in your image, I would use “Roundcorner” extension for that usually, but I see you are using SketchUp for Schools so you don’t have access to that. You could probably do it, but I think it would be more involved.

Hope that’s a start anyhow.

Thanks IanT,

Let me see how I can follow this to the best of my ability. I had been searching for some tutorials on youtube but I couldn’t find any that showed what I wanted to do.

I hope it’s of use to you. Although it’s not rocket science I found it tricky trying to explain it clearly, hopefully you can get something from it. I’ll have a wander around to see if there’s any videos that might be useful too.

It is pretty useful, I am stuck on the sausage shape because its a shape I have never done before. Remember, I have only done squares and circles, when it comes to making arcs etc I am lost. I just learned tonight how to make rounded corners using the arc tool. When it comes to tapered area I still have to learn those things.

Here’s the sausage using The Dave Method. You see me make the half sausage face and the circle a component. I make a copy of that to one side and Scale the copy up 10x.

I then open the component up for editing, select the circle, then Follow Me, then click the half sausage to create the shape. I turn the sausage face inside out and delete the circle.

I click away from the open component to close editing and then delete the larger copy. Then I explode the original and select everything. I right click and >intersect faces>with selection. Then I delete the sausage face and the one below to reveal the hollow.

I’ll leave that with you for tonight…

Thanks again, I really need some good video tutorials,

I think you went too far ahead, can you post how you created the shape that looks like the sausage? Is it basically just a square with the arc tool on the corners? I noticed on the dront of the shape it looks like a rounded front - I have no idea how to make a rounded front.

Its a rectangle with the arc tool on the corners and the unwanted parts removed.

How much detail do you want? The more detail, the more trickier this will be both for you being new and me to explain. I think you might be better sticking to a more basic one while you get the hang of things, you can work up from there.

I’ve got a basic one that I did the outside cuts first then the top grooves. I might be able to do a video later to go through how I did that if you wanted?

Ian, heck yes I want to see the video. Do you still have the drawing that you did of this one? I have to make some of those too but I wanted to start out with the other one first until I got the hang of it.

I’ll do a slow video later when Im at a computer to try to explain how to figure it out and use the tools, though it’s not something I usually do. Sorry I deleted that one.

I see you changed your profile to SketchUp Pro, you will have access to extensions such as Round Corner in that case. But that can wait for now, basics first I think.

I really do appreciate it Ian. When I signed in I just clicked on some of the fields to get it over with, didn;t think much about version until you pointed out that I wouldnt be able to use the roundcorner which I already have installed but dont know how to use as yet.

When you do the video, can you show how you created that one that you posted that you deleted? If I can get that one down I will be able to figure out the other one which is easier (I think).

Thanks again…

I sent you a video link via PM, it’s the first part of the outline. I went through it as slowly and carefully as I could. See if you can get that part down.

Got it.

Just a tip - any repeating objects you have should be components to help save time when modeling. I see from the example that the circle gear can be broken up into 5 parts and then use polar array to copy each “slide of the pie” around. While that may not save that much time in the initial modeling process…if you were to change it later, it would help a lot. Good luck!

Thanks, I will have to search for those key words so I can see how to accomplish what you mentioned.

Here’s a thought for you JustinG, as I am a gun owner.

Those parts you are showing I’m almost positive are stamped, those “grooves” are concave on one side a convex on the other. The plate itself is less than an eighth of an inch thick.

So although you are getting good advice on modeling it, everyone is going too thick with it. As if the grooves were machined into it. They’re not.

If I have a chance tomorrow, I’ll see if I can model something more like the real thing. But what really needs to happen is to copy the top surface only and use move/control to move a copy down 3/32 and then fill in the sides.

So make the initial plate 4" thick or so, do what has been suggested, copy the top, move it down, do an intersect with selection and erase the lower half.

Hi CJ,

The examples that Ian gave me was really an example, this was how to learn how its done then do it the proper way with the correct sizes. Ian showed me how to make the plate from beginning to end, now its possible for me the make the rifle plates. The Hornady plates are actually 1/4" thick. I have a few plates already for my case feeder but I need to make some plates for my annealer along with another case feeder.

So far this jorney has been really interesting. I went from just knowing how to make rectangles, squares and circles to doing curves etc. Still learning and its extremely exciting!

Appreciate your feedback. But actually all credit goes to Ian, without his help it would have taken me many, man months to figure out how to even make one plate.

Don’t get me wrong, I was agreeing with Ian. I was just pointing out they were stamped. Everything he told you was correct. I did not realize the plates were that thick. For years when my wife and I shot every Saturday, and were going through 700+ rounds a week everyone at the range said we needed to start re-loading. We never did, it would have saved us thousands! It sounds like you’re going at it the right way, with a Hornady Progressive.

My wife is the one thats harassing me to go to the range, I have been saying that we will go but its been two years since we last went. As soon as the weather starts getting cold I will have no choice but to go this time.
I dont know how you and the wife did it, but everytime we went and bought brass we would spend about $200 for the both of us until I quit going because that was a lot. I then decided I needed to get the dust off my progressive and start reloading again.

This is my setup so far.

I am building a casefeeder to start annealing my rifle brass, the case feeder is going to be on top of this annealer.

I don’t want to be loading anything one by one, that will take forever so I have to build a case feeder.