Lost Groups

Hi can any one help me recover the groups in a drawing for some reason they have all merged together. I cannot edit those groups separately the drawing sticks together. Many thanks

You might have accidentally exploded the groups. If you upload your .skp file we could have a look.

Hi many thanks MST 2 concept.skp (2.4 MB)
Is it possible to find the groups again if i Exploded the them ?
regards

If you explode a group and it’s too late to Undo it, then it’s gone. You could just group them again or find a backup of your file if you use Time Machine or some other backup. It wouldn’t take that long to group everything again in that file.

You do have some components there in the Components browser, so you won’t have lost those.

You might have ‘explode’ assigned to a keyboard shortcut that you pressed accidentally?

1 Like

Only ‘Undo’ can help you if nothing is “standing in the way” like already saved or…

@Mwambani, don’t use ‘Purge Unused’ before placing these components back into modeling space. Else they will also be lost!

2 Likes

Another reason for using components instead of groups. :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry if I’m reviving an old topic, but components take up more space (storage space) than groups and sometimes when working on big builds, these could matter. I just want to let you know. Sorry for reviving this topic.

This may be true in specific situations, but not always. It depends on how you use the groups vs components. And in many situations the difference is too small to worry about compared to the advantages that components can offer over groups.

If you use components inefficiently, that is with every component unique, yes, they will take up more space than groups because they have a few more properties such as the file path where they were saved. But if instead you have multiple instances in the model for each component they may actually take up less space than groups because component instances alway share their definition but groups do so only if you copied them and then never edited any.

1 Like