Looking for smooth exterior wall

I’m looking for a smooth exterior wall surface for a tiny house.

I thought of car-style metal siding, but I’m worried about the high cost of metal and the walls heating up.

I’m not sure about the options available or if this is an unreasonable idea. I want the exterior of the house to be smooth and as featureless as possible. I’ve heard that vinyl can cause cancer and stuff, so I’d prefer something safer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Don’t they just call that “living in your car”?

A tiny house would have a kitchenette, insulation, etc., unlike a car.

Did you see the youtube video about Sketchup homeless shelters?

No, I didn’t. Feel free to post the link.

That’s an awesome design! Thanks for sharing. I think polyethylene foam sounds like a great choice for insulation because it’s cheap and impervious to mildew, mold, rot, and bacteria. I’m looking for a nonporous exterior finish though.

If this is for a real project, it would help if you told us where it is. Materials suitable for Canada, say, might not be in the tropics and vice versa. Also, it depends on what you mean by smooth. You can get a fairly smooth surface using sand and cement render. Old fashioned lime plaster can be made even smoother. Both are seamless but both are to some extent porous and need painting.

In the UK, other options would include various metals (steel, stainless steel, lead, copper, aluminium) with or without natural colour. There are also various plastic derivatives. None of these would be seamless and you have to be very careful with detailing to make them work.

Today, engineers want to split even rendered surfaces with expansion joints.

In Brazil, the use of aluminum (ACM) in facades is very common. The assembly is basically ACM sheets, glued onto a steel frame structure. The inner finish may be plaster or any other material.
This finish is not very expensive, and depending on the workmanship, it is almost perfect, like the surface of a car, and also as fragile as.

Well, yes and no.

It is true that masonry walls over a certain length need expansion joints and it is common for that to be expressed through surface finishes to avoid irregular cracking. The OP referred to a “tiny house” so it is quite likely that walls won’t be long enough to warrant expansion joints.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.