LO 2021 "Not Responding".... AArrgghhhh

Here is the situation:
A 3 page layout with a single model on each page… and not a complicated model. (sample image attached)
When I make a change, let’s say switching the line weight from .5 to .2, it locks up for MINUTES.

I can’t imagine that it is my system:

• Intel i9-10900 @ 3.7GHz
  • 64G RAM
  • ROG STRIX Z590
  • RTX3080Ti (12GB)
  • Win 10 running on an SSD

I watch the performance monitor and it hardly makes a dent… What am I missing here???

Please upload the model.

If you could upload the model, that would be helpful. I have the almost identical spec as yours - apart from the RTX - , so I could tell you if there is something in the model that the system does not like.

Here you go… thank you both for such a fast response!

Sheffield’s patio layout.layout (3.4 MB)

Sheffields patio layout.skp (1.4 MB)

OK, thanks. So I’m having the same problem as you are, I presume. Updating the Layout is taking forever - about 3 minutes - (even with the expected logo disconnected)!
I’ll dig a little deeper and get back to you when I find something.

The model looked simple enough, but there are a lot of edges and faces lurking.
All viewports are set to Hybrid rendering. Raster is faster and with Output Quality set to High, they would look good enough.
Looking at it with Steve Baumgarten’s Statistics Probe, here is the culprit:

The Expamet shade below the (heaters?) has been quite unnecessarily modelled - it contributes something like 90% of all the geometry in the model while contributing nothing to the design. A texture would do as well.

1 Like

@Anssi’s point about the obese is definitely worth thinking about. A texture would make much more sense than all that geometry which can’t be seen anyway. It would reduce the load on the graphics card and help make the rendering faster in LayOut. In addition, I would suggest cleaning up your model. That’ll also help.

I fixed incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces should be created and left untagged.
Screenshot - 11_4_2021 , 1_45_28 PM

And I purged unused stuff from the model reducing the SketchUp file size by more than 20%.
Screenshot - 11_4_2021 , 1_46_09 PM

Compare how things work in this LO file for you. I didn’t replace those grids with a texture but it would be easy enough. And this file is nearly 50% smaller than yours.
Sheffield’s patio purged.layout (1.8 MB)

PHS75 heater.skp (1,3 MB)