Lines show through surfaces

I know nothing whatever about the json patcheditor, so I can’t help you there. But from those articles it seems that the depth quantization is determined by the near and far clipping planes, an already notorious source of problems in SketchUp. If you could change the clipping planes yourself, you could kill both birds with one stone.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Switching back to the original thread (as I’m concerned more with the desktop editions.)
Thanks to Caroline for unlocking the topic.

Is there a way to change the z buffer length ? Registry setting ?
… or Test module method (edit: don’t see one in introspective method listing) ?

So, not much change then in SU2017 or 2018 ?

Why is the output from FreeImage lib so bad in this regard, but the PDFlib much better ?

And Thanks Steve, I did bookmark those links you gave above but haven’t had time to read them.

1 Like

I’m no expert OpenGL or WebGL programmer and will gladly yield to anyone who is.

My impression is that the hardware and drivers provide choices and client software (SketchUp in this case) picks based on tradeoffs of performance, memory use, and compatibility with a range of hardware. I doubt an OS setting can force an app to make particular choices.

I’ve also observed effects that suggest SketchUp uses double-precision to represent coordinates in the model database but passes many things back and forth to the GPU display using single-precision, most likely for the same reasons.

I have no proof, but I would guess that FreeImage is simply exporting a raster taken from the screen, warts and all, whereas PDFlib may be treating the model edges as vectors and rendering them independently of the screen? That difference in processing could be true even if the ultimate PDF embeds a raster image created by the rendering.

1 Like

I had a 1/32 inch metal sheet folded over and by hiding both edges on the back I no longer see them. Thanks, these exposed lines would have been confusing!