Line tags in rendered images

Hello :slight_smile:

This has probably been dealt with before, but I created my own line style in Style Builder and this has given me problems when rendering images out to use as ‘brushes’ or ‘stamps’ in much larger drawings done in apps like GIMP or PS.

Here is an example of what I mean - a gross enlargement of part of one of these little symbols. As you can see - some of the lines extend beyond the intersection and into the model where they shouldn’t be visible at all.

While I can remedy this by a bit of post processing in GIMP, its not something I expected to happen or understand at all. Is there any way of preventing it from happening in the first place.

The style I created does not have any tails like this. I specifically took care to make sure there were no line extensions.

I see this with sketchy line styles, too. It’s an artifact of the graphics. It’s different on my different computer s with different GPUs.

My process is to export two images, one Hidden Line and one textured but no edges. That makes it easier to edit out the unwanted bits because the background is white. Then it’s a simple matter of combining the images.

Another thing I do is run Eneroth Auto Weld. This often helps with some of the artifacts.

1 Like

Its a shame, since it increases the time it takes me to generate new stamps by a factor of 10. I render it twice - once with lines and once without - and then bring it into GIMP as 2 layers and set about erasing all the little tails by hand.

Thanks anyway - I had to ask just in case there was a setting I’d overlooked. I didn’t want to waste all that time in post processing if I didn’t have to :slight_smile:

In case you didn’t see my added comments, make the export with the lines using Hidden Line so it’s only black lines on white background. This makes editing the image in post much easier because you can use a brush with white and don’t need to worry about what the surrounding colors are. I do the editing on my Cintiq which also makes it much easier and faster.

Another alternative is to hide the edges that are creating those little “tags” before you make the export. That may or may not be more efficient than post processing.

I also frequently export the hidden line image at a larger size than I want for the textures. This allows me to make thinner edges than I would get exporting at a smaller size. As a comparison, here are five different exports at different sizes using the same sketchy line style.

Sometimes I’ll make several different hidden line exports at different sizes and combine to end up with multiple line weights.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I do now - two images, two layers, erase the linework image as necessary, then export as one png image file.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to go into greater detail :slight_smile:

You have also caused me to think “How does anyone get an export larger than 9999 pixels in width?”

So please tell - how do you do that?

I’ve never found any need to even export at 9999 pixels wide.

1 Like

Place the view in LayOut on a page wider than 33 inches. Set your Output Resolution to High. Export from there.

2 Likes

Thank you, Anssi :slight_smile: