[License] Why isn't SketchUp Working Offline?

He meant “license” not “version”.

1 Like

I am trying to setup a computer (Windows 7 x64) with SketchUP Make.
This computer must stay offline and cannot be connected to a network.

When I try to install SketchUP Make 2015, I receive the “Licence Error”

There is a network card in the computer AND it’s available, but not plugged-in to anything…
The NIC status is “Network Cable disconnected”

Was there any solution to this problem ?

1 Like

Are you actually installing the MAKE version ?
Or the PRO version ??

1 Like

It is the MAKE version 2015.

1 Like

SU Make needs to write it’s license file to the WIndows user folders too, launching with restricted rights or with another user account than used during installation may cause license issues.

Install and do the first launch by right-clicking SU and selecting “Run as Admin” in the context menu.

Ensure that the browser brought by the operating system (Win: MS IE / OSX: Safari) is up2date, in MS IE don’t leverage the internet security zone higher than the default “medium-high”.

1 Like

@Ysopet: we found that the network adapter corresponding to at least one network card must remain enabled. Can you check?

Control Panel → Network and Sharing Center → Change Adapter settings : Check if any of the network adapters are disabled. There does not need to be an actual network cable attached to the card, just the software adapter needs to be enabled. This is a requirement of the licensing system we are using.

Hello !

The network card is installed (BroadComm Gigabit ethernet adapter).
The driver is there but no cable plugged-in.
In the card’s status, it is marked as “Enabled”.
I still get the same error… :frowning:

1 Like

Hmm… That’s unexpected. I’m not sure what’s causing that as I’ve never seen it happen. Maybe try disabling and enabling the adapter and restarting Windows.

1 Like

I want to help clarify the functionality of 2015 Single User licenses for any new readers…

1. The initial authorization of a computer using a Single User license DOES need an internet connection to activate the SketchUp Pro installation

2. After the computer installation has been authorized, the user no longer needs to be online to launch and use SketchUp.

CD

1 Like

Resolved the issue…
Completly removed the LAN card from Windows Device Manager.
Rebooted.
Reinstalled the LAN card using updated drivers from Broadcom (not the Microsoft default reference driver).
SketchUP Make does display the Licence Agreement and allows me to use the “Launch Sketchup” button !!

Could it be a driver problem ??

Thanks everyone for small tips and bits ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ysopet

Thanks for posting that you resolved the issue.

Happy SketchUping!!

CD

1 Like

What is the software adapter being referred to in this reply?
Our computer where the SU 2019 need to be installed is completely disconnected from the internet for security reasons. Is there a way to authorize the software given this scenario?

Thank you for your advice.

Contact customer support (ping: @colin ). They have a way to issue a license for a computer without a network connection.

I’m glad I got pinged on this topic. The solution from 2015 could help us with the same issue that still can show up in some cases.

What Bugra was saying is that the classic license is tied to the MAC address of the machine you’re on. If you enter the license while online, then at some point make the network adapter be unaccessible, the license cannot work.

For the case where the computer can never be online, we can make an offline license. It can be tied to either the MAC address or the disk ID. Go to this page:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support/technical-question

put in your classic license serial number if asked, and enough details so we can make the license. If you want to save one email’s work of time, include the user name for the computer, and its MAC address. You should send in the request using the email address that is on the license, or at least from the same domain.

1 Like

Hi Colin

Few hours ago, I have submitted a case (#10305191) wherein I provided all the necessary information required, including the MAC addresses/Host ID’s of the computers I need it to be installed.

Do you have any idea how long (hours/days) before the technical team responds?

I tried calling the US hotline and even incur overseas call charges (btw, my location is Singapore) just to listen to a recorded message to “leave a message…” but never gives an opportunity to do so and the recording would stop after the long instructions.

We need the software installed in 2 machines since yesterday and it is delaying our work due to this issue.

Would you be able to follow up with the relevant department on the case stated above?

Thank you for any help that you can render to me.

I found your support message. I will make the licenses and reply to you with them.

It may be an hour from now before I have done that.

1 Like

I’ve sent the licenses.

1 Like

Hi Colin,

I’m having a similar issue with 10 licenses purchased for computers that have no network connection. I submitted a case (#10352639) for one of the ten licenses, but I really need help getting these licenses working. I’ve been attempting for months to figure this out (to no avail) but I thankfully found this thread and am hoping you can help!

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I replied to your support email. Reply to that, with enough information for me to be able to find the licenses.

Sent you a reply! Thank you for the prompt response!