License renewal shell game?

Your 2021 license, that you activated today, is a permanent license. You’re still allowed to activate it on another machine, and you don’t have to do that before July. You should be able to use any of the 2021 updates as well.

After July, if you need support, or want to use the 2022 version when that is released, you would need to be on a subscription by then. You can still get the 60% discount for the first two years, until your current support ends in July. No reason to take that offer before July.

Thanks, that was all I hoped for.

Hi Colin,
I’ve just gotten thru a rash of emails to “support” about our old licenses (16 thru 20) and have been “taught” that only our subscription version will work in the future. That doesn’t bother me as much as my OWN 2020 version that I’m newly installing on a older used laptop at home. I was told that it would also lose support soon and become useless (returns to a 30 day free trial) without support. What the best (or only) way to make it useful permanently? And what happens when we all upgrade to Windows 11 soon?

1 Like

I can only see a deactivated 2018 license for your name and email address. Is the 2020 license under a different name?

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, true that SU18 has been “deactivated” and I’m currently installing our subscription 2021 version to a new computer laptop. Haven’t found our sign-in data yet – saved it somewhere I’m sure. Just opened it, thank you !

But the crux of the inquiry is more of my personal copy (email removed) of 2020 and 2021 Classic version(s) that I’ve just installed on my own laptop (all of these are Windows 10) which you had advised me about more than a year ago, as to how to continue using my 2021 after they end support AND what happens to us folks when we upgrade to Windows 11 after the end of support? And yes, my 2020 is non-operable – 2021 still works.

We really don’t do many wonderful things with SU in the office other than buildout “New” development and output Shade/Shadow illustrations for CEQA approvals. We did that for the new LA Airport overhead people mover as an example.

Regards,

Tom Brauer

image001.png

I edited out your email, so that no robots come here and start spamming you!

Your 2019 and 2020 versions will continue to work on computers they are already working on. You have your 2021 license working on two computers, both of them have your user name. If you install 2021 onto a new computer you would receive an email saying you had exceeded the number of activations. Try to remember to remove the license from any older computer that you’re getting rid of, to make sure you have the spare activation for a new computer.

I put your 2020 license into a state where you should be able to activate it, but make sure to do that before you next activate 2021 again.

All of your licenses are permanent ones, so long as SketchUp is able to run on your system, it will continue to work.

Too bad you can’t de-authorize from any computer. “Old” computers are often “dead” computers.

1 Like

Actually we can – have to get our “Administrator’s” password first even though I’m listed as admin. Yes, this old Window’s 7 is ready to go out a second story window . . . :blush:

image001.jpg

image001.png

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your efforts. Installed 2021 on new laptop, would not open – wanted us to eliminate one install. So deleted most recent 2021 version on old Win7 machine… Then got an email from Trimble that I did not have to delete it – just go to “License” area and remove the license. Can’t do that now. Any ideas? Shall I try to re-install 2021 on that old machine? Or remove the license on a 2020 version still on that machine?

Thanks !

Tom

image001.jpg

image001.png

Yes, reinstall 2021, go to the manage license screen, and remove license.

Thanks Colin,

So, re-installed it and received the same message – that it was already installed on multiple machines, etc. so couldn’t open it to remove the license. Will investigate a bit further and let you know . . .l

Best,

Tom

image001.jpg

image001.png

I think that you may have been seeing the subscription message. In the manage license window, make sure that Classic is selected. If there is a license showing you can remove it.

On the subscription tab you should sign out, if that computer is no longer going to use SketchUp.

YAY ! That worked !

Thanks again, good sir.

Best,

Tom

image001.jpg

image001.png