[License] Multiple versions under one License?

Hello!

Slightly odd question here, but on the single user license, as I understand it, I can have Pro installed on up to two different computers (i.e. desktop and laptop). However, in my case, I have a bit of a dilemma. My laptop is running Windows 8.1 64 bit. Yet, my desktop is running Windows XP. Upgrading windows is not an option because the framework of my company is outdated and only runs on XP.

My questions is this. If I buy a pro version, can I use the same license on an older version of Pro (specifically 2014) on one computer, while still using the most recent version on my laptop?

Thanks for any help!

-Max

No. A single-user license is specific to a particular major numbered version and platform. However, within those limitations, you may install it on as many machines as you wish. You may then run the license on only one machine at a time; running it simulaneously on two or more machines is a license violation.

-Gully

Correction: @DaveR has furnished me the following updated information:

FYI, with SU2015 pro, the license is no longer platform specific so you can install a copy on mac and another on PC. You can also run both at the same time. I frequently have SU running on both my PC and Mac when I am making screen shots for tutorials and such.

It used to be that if SU Pro was running on one machine and you tried to open it on another machine using the same license, it wouldn’t open. No problem now.

Of course you were correct that the limit is two and the license is major version specific.

[quote=“Gully_Foyle, post:2, topic:13854, full:true”]Correction: @DaveR has furnished me the following updated information:

You can also run both at the same time. I frequently have SU running on both my PC and Mac when I am making screen shots for tutorials and such.[/quote]

even if technically maybe possible, one (1) license is not allowed to be used on two (2) systems at the same time, license wiseiirc

Alright. Thanks guys!

I will end up going for the latest then. I plan to update to a mac in the near future which would allow me to run XP on parallel.

Thanks again!

don’t use XP anymore, at least if granting internet access… go for e.g. a W7 Pro OEM license (security updates until beginning 2020).

Yeah, that would be ideal, but the software framework of my company is outdated and only runs on XP. (When I say my company I mean my father’s :smile:) It is due time for a software upgrade, but there is 140 years worth of company data in there and that is no easy task to transfer over :astonished: .

Thanks again.

-Max

Edit: For the record, I ended up just getting my own student version :wink:.