Let's Talk V-Ray Render Times & IT Spec! Yippeeee!

Let me research this and come back to you! I’m wary of AMD because of historical compatibility issues. I feel safer with Intel. Don’t ask me to explain this, I can’t! Lol

I don’t know, but all those trees and grass. Not all that many light sources compared to interiors, but plants are a killer, aren’t they? They certainly are just working in native SketchUp.

I used V-Ray Fur for the grass and Skatter to place the trees, weeds, flowers, and some of the rocks and boulders in some of the scenes. Proxy objects helped quite a bit.

Then there was some fog, atmosphere and AO Settings that ate time as well.

1 Like

Here’s the comparison:

1 Like

@Neets1604 I just like to see your posts and progress over the years! Glad you’re doing well with it!

1 Like

Here’s the comparison:

I also render scenes at 9000x9000 and above in brighter3D with sketchup, it takes about 3 minutes to do. My PC is nothing special, cost about £2000 4 years ago I believe the results are every bit as good. I have just downloaded this scene from the web and rendered it without doing any material changes or lighting change and hit the render button, so there is a lot to improve on this image with a few tweaks. So it very fast to learn. Good to see you are moving on with sketchup Anita.

Thank you! I recognise your name from my SketchUcation days! Are the forums over there still active? I left my 9-5 about 6 years ago to work in SketchUp/3D full-time, then I transitioned to teaching Interior Designers how to use SketchUp (and now Canva/Photoshop also). My SketchUp courses focus on 2D at the minute but I’m planning on expanding those to 3D/photo-real. To be honest, I’ve been putting it off for a while because I know I’ll probably be hammered support wise.

I made the tough decision to stop using Maxwell Render this year because I felt it simply wasn’t as competitive anymore for today’s standards. And I love Maxwell Render. I actually think it has a better interface than V-Ray but it doesn’t compare to V-Ray’s render times, unfortunately. They are both pretty much equally matched in terms of their realism. They produce excellent, high quality results.

So I did a period of trialling of the most prevalent rendering apps at the minute and settled for V-Ray. There’s a few different reasons for that but I won’t bore you with them!

1 Like

You’re spoiling me with all this information! I didn’t even know this website existed! I thought the difference might have been slightly better. The 3070 is blowing my GPU outta the water. Interesting.

I’ve tried to get some prices on the Studiobook but for some reason none of Asus websites have prices, which is 1. Strange and 2. Ludicrous! I’ve messaged them to find out costs. I have a feeling it might be edging towards the £3k mark and if it is, I’ll be going with the XPS. If you’re going to spend £3k you might as well buy a desktop and I know that my target audience just wouldn’t spend that on hardware.

Thanks for your input here! It’s an interesting comparison but as I mentioned, I’ve already decided on V-Ray and was keen to establish if my current system was comparable to the current XPS 17. There’s absolutely no need for an Interior Designer to create 9000 x 9000 renders. Totally different for a 3D Visualiser when meeting the needs of their various clients.

I would be doing my students a huge disservice if I advised them to create all of their renders at this size as standard. I don’t feel it’s realistic to place a standard like this on render size without considering the context of the user (the person creating the render) and the end customer.

I have trialled many different rendering software applications in order to make my decision to use V-Ray. Render time, realism, ease of use, learning curve and cost all came into it. Especially the software’s ability to produce consistent results on a range of scenes. I’ve used many rendering software applications where I’ve had to work hard to produce an acceptable final result. Whereas with other (higher spec) applications, this effort isn’t required. It is consistently of a high standard.

I appreciate that two different people can use the same rendering software to render the same scene and still produce different results (i.e. higher/lesser standard), which all comes down to workflow, experience and technique.

It’s good that there are quite a few different rendering software applications to choose from nowadays, at a range of skill levels and budgets. People can decide which ones are the right fit for them, including render time and level of realism.

Thank you! SketchUp is a central part of my life now; whether SketchUp likes it or not! Lol

I appreciate the reply. You can render in any size you like. My point was it is very fast even at high resolution.
I would like to offer you a challenge. Send me a SketchUp file to render. I will record the work flow on video and send you the results so you can make a better assessment.
You render the same sketchup file and record it and we can put the results in the forum for people to decide.
That is fair?

But this isn’t the point of my original post. I’m not interested in comparing different rendering applications, I’ve already done that. I’ve made my decision. I’m now focusing on the most suitable hardware spec for the rendering software I’ve chosen. Are you affiliated with Brighter3D?!

Anita, Good to see you posting, have missed you as a regular over on sketchUcation. Can’t contribute anything about windows hardware or V Ray but thought as a Mac user should interject this. You need to let your students that are on mac’s know they are going to be behind the “eight ball” a little. I don’t get out much but I’ve yet to hear of a Mac user that can access the gpu rendering ability of these higher end rendering softwares. Could be wrong about this but thought I’d bring it up.

2 Likes

That’s very kind, thank you! I must pop over and show my ‘face’!

Yes, that’s a very good point, I’ll definitely reference the Mac thing. Is this still the case even with newer versions?

As I mentioned I don’t get out much. :wink: . I have know idea how all this applies to the new M1 chip thing in macs. Do know my older iMac that does have intel chip and navidia graphics card was not capable of accessing the gpu rendering capabilities of various render engines on the market . Did a lot of checking into this until I just gave up.

As Mac sufferer I know this is true, and it seems the solutions are not as clear for Macs.

No Anita I am not an affiliated of brighter3D. So you have tested Brighter3D and you think it is not easier, faster, better and cheaper and feature rich than V-ray. I would like to know why you think this? As regards PC spec Can you send me a SketchUp model that you have render in V-ray, let me have look at it and return it to you to re-render. I want to point out something that you may be overlooking.

Thank you for your offer of assistance but I’m not interested.

You never answered my question. never mind I was thinking you don’t need a better spec PC but you need to change your modelling methods. Have you tried auto magic dimensions?

It looks like the only solution for Mac users is distributed rendering, where the Mac makes use of the CPU and an external device is connected for GPU rendering. Can’t see my target audience going for that. What a bummer. Ugh, Macs are so annoying!