Layout styles

I may consider going that route. Its not difficult to copy folders, maybe less work then setting preferences. Thanks so much Dave.

Although I’ve never had a problem I have seen reports in which other users have had the folder locations reset to default. Instead of even thinking about it, I just use the defaults. It also means I’m less likely to inadvertently delete those files when I clean up my computer.

I have a Layout document where I have used some styles from my folder (default location):
~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2021/SketchUp/Styles/woodworking
I than updated some of the styles (with new names) in this folder and used them in the same Layout document.
Now when I select a viewport and see the SketchUp Models- styles tray: In Models styles selection list, I have some of the new styles plus older styles that are no longer used.

Is there a way to purge unused styles in a Layout document, similar to what is done in SketchUp ? Doesnt appear to show this anywhere on the SketchUp Models- styles tray but maybe there is some way outside Layout in a folder.

Reset the Styles section to use the actual style in the model. Save the file and close it. When you open LO the next time it should only show the style(s) in the model. If you are using a different style for the viewport the in model style(s) will still be shown. No way around that without editing the SketchUp model and replacing the current in model style(s) with the selected style.

That worked. Now only the SU styles shown as in model, the older extra styles are removed.
Dave to the rescue again! Thanks so much.

1 Like

Another issue I found today with Layout styles. Last night I updated my Layout file with some changes, saved the file, then did a print to PDF. When I tried to close the file, Layout asks if I want to save, revert or cancel. I find this strange I have to save the file again when all I did between the last save was print. In any case, I chose save file but the Layout application crashed rather then saving normally. I filled out a detailed crash report and sent to Trimble.

Now today when I started to work with the same file, I noticed for viewports where I used any styles which were not included in the SketchUp model, (like backedges style) the style displayed in the viewport but the SU Model-style tray indicates no style is selected for the viewport. See below screenshot.

When I do a print preview, those viewports do not print these styles which are from outside the SketchUp Model , only the in model styles print.
Maybe the file corruption caused this when Layout crashed. My fix was to select the affected viewports, reset the SU Model-styles, then select the desired styles from outside the model.

Has anyone else seen this before. In particular, does Layout crash when saving/closing a file immediately after a printout ? Perhaps a MAC issue ?

LayOut’s always done that after an export. I just choose Save. It’s never really bothered me. I’ve never had it crash after saving though.

As for the styles thing, I haven’t seen that before either.

Thanks for your input Dave. I have seen this crash occur quite often after a printout. So much that when Layout asks to save, revert or cancel, I usually choose revert since I do a file save immediately before printing. I have never noticed any problems with this sequence.

I filled in a detailed report and I have a crash report number. How do I get a SU team member to look into this and get in contact with me ?

Maybe @colin will look for the Bug Splat.

That may be the first time I have looked up a LayOut bugsplat.

The error it shows is:

“Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSRangeException’, reason: ‘*** -[NSConcretePointerArray pointerAtIndex:]: attempt to access pointer at index 448 beyond bounds 448’”

That seems to be a fairly common error, not with LayOut specifically. I did find that the error happened during the beta for LayOut 1.0, but was fixed even before the first LayOut was released.

Perhaps @Adam could take a look. (LO21Mac&id=9931)

For the question about why you’re being asked to save, my suspicion is that as each page is rendered for printing, the page thumbnail gets updated. Having the thumbnail up to date will mean you can go between pages faster. You could do a test, where at the time you’re being asked if you want to save, don’t do anything. Switch to Finder and make a copy of the file. Then go back and do the save. You can now test whether going between pages is faster on the copy that didn’t get the save, and the original file, that did get a save.

@colin
Colin,
Thanks very much for taking a look at the crash report.
I tried your suggestion, doing a print to pdf, then making a duplicate copy in finder before closing the file and selecting save. Unfortunately, when I selected save, Layout crashed after a couple seconds of the spinning ball. Its pretty consistent crashing after print, close file and save. So as far as comparing going between pages, both files seemed the same. The saved file that was part of the crash, didnt appear corrupted.
The new crash # is 10018.

Thanks for trying. The crash type is the same as before, hopefully Adam gets time to see if he can tell anything from the crash reports.

@colin, Just wanted to add another test variation with some encouraging results. When I do a print, then file->save, then close the file I have not seen a crash. I’m going to try this several more times but so far so good. If that continues to work, I feel better doing that then print, close file with a save and a crash or choosing dont save when closing the file.

Colin,
I have now tried this at least 10 times and each time doing the sequence: print to pdf, close file and choose save when asked, causes Layout to crash. More crash reports: 10034, 10035, 10036 and 10037. Although I would assume each will yield the same information. Its there if you or @adam would like to look.

The Layout file I have been using is 47 pages. When I tried a smaller file, no crash resulted.
Also, with the long file, 10 times with a manual save after the print, then a file->close had no crash. This is the best approach, and one I will use going forward to avoid a crash.

With regard to the screenshot showing the Layout styles which were not synced to the viewports anymore, that may have been a result of relinking the SketchUp reference file rather then a corrupted file from the Layout crash. I observed several times where relinking caused Layout styles to unexpectantly change in stacked viewports. There is a newer post on that subject here https://forums.sketchup.com/t/layout-viewport-style-changing-unexpectedly/156994
which would be the appropriate place for me to provide details.

Thanks for the Bugsplats. I have looked at a number of them, but nothing is immediately obvious as to what’s going on. Sorry that I don’t have better news for you.

Adam

How do you get Style Builder?

It comes with SketchUp Pro. If you have SketchUp Pro installed, then you have Style Builder.

Yes I do have Sketchup Pro 20.0.353
And I see how I can edit but wondering if there are any other “styles” that out there that are already built that I can import?

Can’t seem to “save” it after I edit either.

There are a bunch of styles available at Sketchucation as well as at SketchUpArtists. You can make your own from scratch if you want. That’s what Style Builder is for.

Make sure you’ve updated the style. Then open the secondary pain in the Styles panel, set one pane to In Model and the other to the collection you want to save the style in. Then click and drag the thumbnail for the style from In Model to the destination.
style

Thanx Dave the Sage!!

1 Like