Layout PDF unrecognised by Corel Draw 6

Gents, hopefully your questions answered,

1. I do use a font manager (Bitstream font manager) and when I copied my fonts across to my laptop it did go through the font installer.
  2. Corel is about 1 -2 years old, it is X6.
  3. I have put off contacting Corel because they try to charge per incedent for issues out off warranty and usually their first comeback is to blame the other product and insist on extensive problem diagnosis with that product first.

I exported a PDF from Jim’s “Layout Font Test.layout”. I then tried to import that PDF into Corel with the same failure. I imported Jims PDFs (both the PDF and “saved as adobe” PDF with out issues. Attached are the respective Corel screen dumps in order of mine, Jim’s PDFF and “saved as adobe” PDF.

I do believe the issue is with the way MY layout generates the text font. As Jim’s exported PDF is from a non-Windows environment and all my failed test are on 3 separate Windows PC/laptop (Win 7 home, Win 7 Pro and Win 8 Pro versions), it would be interesting to see how my Corel could handle a simple text created fro layout on someone else’s Win environment to see if it is a legitimate MY environment issue (ie. font conflicts) on the three computers I’ve tried or a Win/Layout conflict. This is not to say there is an “issue” with layout but rather a Layout-PDF-Windows/Corel conflict (as the Layout-PDF-non Window/Corel… if that makes sense… works).

If anyone could post a text PDF export from layout on a Windows machine that I could test in Corel would be greatfully appreciated. This is clutching at straws, however, it can be another variable that could be crossed off.

I have had this issue ever since I upgraded to Pro (2013), however, it was no biggie and I always did a workaround. I used Corel to insert the text. This time I needed dimensions and Layout gave me better layout than I could get in Corel so I thought I’d follow it through this time.

The following is my Layout exported PDF (that failed to import into Corel).

I am hoping there is an available SU tem member that uses Windows that may post an extracted PDF for me to try.
Layout Font Test (Alex’s).pdf (72.7 KB)

This one opened OK in even an old (CS3) version of Illustrator.

One thing that I noticed in all these: Illustrator sees every text character in these PDF files as a separate text object.

Alex, do you have an opportunity to print the LO file to PDF? It might be worthwhile to test with a PDF printer driver like Adobe Acrobat or one of the myriad free alternatives, using the “Use high-accuracy HLR” option to avoid a raster image result.

Anssi

Hi Guys, I’m sorry but the thorough technicality, while greatly appreciated, is way over my head (though it is slowly sinking in).

[quote=“JimD, post:27, topic:14002”]
The encoding between Mac and Windows is always different and that’s to be expected (with Roman, or MacRoman (being the typical options for Mac OS fonts).
[/quote]I am hoping this is the crux of the matter as the Mac generated PDF imports Ok and my PDF’s failure is not my font collection’s fault but a “global” Windows/Layout issue. If this can be ascertained then at least I can approach either/both the Layout and/or Corel development teams with the issue. If it is isolated to my PC then I will probably need some advanced technical assistance to fix my font issue to hopefully generate the correct embedding.

I am still hoping some Windows based reader could generate a text PDF out of Layout and if they don’t have access to Corel X6 (which I don’t really expect) they can post the file for me to test and thereby progress accordingly.

1 Like

It’s okay Alex, and you certainly don’t need to be sorry for not wanting to get into the details of all this.

I’m 100% fine with that, TRULY.

I offered the technical terms as an introduction, and a brief description of how they relate to Adobe’s PDF technologies. They’re not meant to be studied, memorized, or overwhelmed by.

You only need to reference them as you might need them… and If I can save you from being more confused had you started to look this stuff up on the internet, where it’s context doesn’t directly relate to you particular need of it. then I’m actually very happy about that, even if you barely use them.

I am just trying to introduce you to some new terms that relate to settings that you might need to make in adjusting how pdf files are created.

The other part of this is that some of the technical terms are meant for those who understand it. It will mean things to them, which it won’t mean to you. My last post is largely up there so Marc (the Layout expert from the SketchUp Team) can see it. And I’m curious what he thinks about How windows is handling this and what the options might be for making your settings (which don’t work in CorelDraw) match mine, which do work for whatever reason.

This is a puzzle to some extent, and it’s also a puzzle which has an element of translation challenges to it.

Anyhow, I’m sorry for all this stuff. I wish it wasn’t the way it is… with all the technical jargon and all. I’ll try to keep it at an absolute minimum. As you think about this I think you’ll find that it’s not as complicated as it might seem, at least not the stuff thats been mention here.

You’ve already reached the Layout development team by asking your question on this forum. There’s a lot more to this forum than just me flapping my lips around. My guess is that you’re going to start to see them show up tomorrow. given that the new work week is about to start.

You’ll also find some windows folks who can provide you with some screen shots of what to look for. and of course the pdf documents which you’ve already asked for.

Take Care, Alex… and hang in there,

Jim

Thanks Jim. Your detail is appreciated. In my past life I used to be a mainframe programmer so I shouldn’t cringe about technical details, however, now that I’ve retired I was hoping to permit cheap wine to obliterate that part of my memory. Now the way I’m digesting this technical stuff my ambitious plot seems to have worked.

Sorry, I didn’t know you were using a Mac. The printing option checkbox that I referred to (I have not the slightest idea what the HLR is supposed to mean) is simply labelled “Vector printing” on the Mac printing dialog. I am sorry I cannot attach a screenshot as I don’t currently have a Mac.

Anssi

It’s going to take me a bit to get up to speed with this thread, I’ll do that and see if the team has any ideas.

-marc

@alexkara is on Windows, @JimD who is trying to help him is on a Mac. The problem seems to be confined to Windows.

Sorry about causing confusion. I was even mixing SketchUp and LayOut print dialogs (the printing option is only on the SU dialog).
However, using a PDF printer might give a different result than exporting. Here are the two from my computer, the latter printed with the Adobe Acrobat printer bundled with Acrobat Professional 9.5
.Layout Font Test exported.pdf (72.7 KB)
Layout Font Test printed.pdf (50.3 KB)
If you have a trial of Acrobat running, you should have this option in your Print dialog. There are also a myriad of PDF printers that can be downloaded from the Internet.

The Acrobat print differs from the SketchUp export in that text doesn’t split into individual characters, at least as viewed in Illustrator.

Anssi

Thank You very much, Anssi !!

That’s a nice idea to also test to see if the text actually remains text. I haven’t been doing that, but I’ll look at that on my end to.

The font embedding results were certainly different in your Print to pdf file. So it’s going to be a telling test when we find out what happens after Alex tries these out in CorelDraw.

Anyhow, here are the Font Embedding properties when viewing your two pdf files. (I"ll upload the screen shots below, when I have a bit more time.)

Anssi’s Export from Layout (from Windows)…
file= ‘Layout Font Test exported.pdf’:

for all fonts:

Type: TrueType (CID)
Encoding: Identity-H

PDF Producer: PDFlib 9.0.2 (C++ legacy/Win64)
PDF Version: 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)

[ This is consistent with the results which Alex got in his exported pdf file… including by the way, the PDF Producer, and PDF version which I didn’t mention before.]

Anssi’s idea of ‘Printing’ to PDF (from Layout on Windows)…
file= ‘Layout Font Test printed.pdf’:

ArialMT (Embedded Subset)

CourierNewPSMT
Type: TrueType
Encoding: Ansi

Actual Font: CourierNewPSMT
Actual Font Type: TrueType

Tahoma
Actual Font: Tahoma

TimesNewRomanPSMT (Embedded Subset)

Verdana
Actual Font: Verdana

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller 9.5.5 (Windows)
PDF Version: 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x)

Depending upon the results which Alex gets. It might also be a good idea to make a new test file based on the Print to PDF idea.

We should remove all of the fonts that get converted into the CID Identity-H encoding from it. So that it’s just a straight version of the TrueType ANSI encoding.

That’s the kind of encoding which is coming off on my Mac, and those have always been working. I’d have to expect the same successful result when coming from a Windows Computer as well.

I guess we wait and see what happens with the results in CorelDraw first.

…BUT if Alex can’t open the Print To PDF file (either). . . I don’t think that automatically means anything, since it might not have opened because it contained the two fonts with the CID Identiy-H.

A test seeing if he can one that doesn’t include those fonts will be more telling, given their absence and all.

Also the promise of the Print to PDF option is Still A Good One—because there are other configurations possible—we only have to find the one that works when going from Layout to CorelDraw. I certainly think that we can find what that is going to be.

Hi gents, I am still holding out for a Windows based export to see/confirm if its Layout or me.

In the meantime I have been toying around and I think that I have come to a similar conclusion as Anssi, albeit from a trial and error, rather than scientific. I have discovered that if I print to a PDF from Layout (using Power PDF - my alternative to Acrobat Pro) I can import that file into Corel without apparent issues, however, I had no knowledge of individual character splitting. As I am using Layout to format my text I don’t do anything to it in Coral so if there is “character splitting” it is not an issue (at least at the moment).

Bottom line is that I appear to now have a workaround, however, it does require a 3rd. party product to “correct” what may be an issue in Layout. I do hope the Layout team will continue with a potential fix as the Mac version does appear to function correctly.

Anssi, are you using Windows? Your screen dump has hints of Windows (Microsoft XPS Document Writer as a selectable printer). If you are could you export a simple text entry to a blank Layout page into a PDF and post it please so I can try to import that into Corel.

Sorry gents, missed Anssi’s post. Downloaded and it also failed to import into Corel.

I appreciate that Acrobat is not free (and is quite expensive), that is why I use Power PDF, which is certainly not a free product (can’t remember what the original license was but upgrades still cost around $100), however, it’s a tad cheaper than Acrobat and is very comprehensive (more so than the freebies). The jury, as far as I’m concerned, is still out on whether Layout should be “fixed”.

My understanding of the article was to shy away from “CID Identity H fonts” and new/developing products should avoid them. While the majority of PDF’s are printed, they are so versatile and extensively used, I feel any detected issues should be addressed. Corel is not a rare/unpopular product and I am surprised that I am the first to detect this issue, unless everyone was like me for the past 3 years and found messy workarounds, till now.

Having said all that, I can’t thank you guys (Jim and Anssi) for your assistance. Without your input and prodding and shoving me I would have just put this in the too hard basket again and NOT come up with a more acceptable workaround to what I used in the past (though a fix would be preferred :wink: :wink: ) .

Jim, I didn’t answer your last question. My recent tests indicate that what I can now import into Corel still need tweaking (but it always had to be), however, I can now import text that I always wanted to do in Layout rather than in Corel. Some of the Layout markups (which included text) are better/easier than in Corel.

Dear Alex,

I have a very similiar problem - Corel Draw X6 won’t open LO files exported to PDF. For some reason, the font substitution says Verdano and I am using Times for dimension lines. I don’t know where Verdano came from.

In short, did you resolve your issue?

Possibly the PDF format is newer than the one supported by CorelDRAW? Version X6 is from 2012 although the PDF version 1.7 format was introduced in 2006.

Anssi

95638jd iH, My workaround was that rather than use the internal “Print to PDF” function, I select File>Print and then select an alternative print_to_pdf_destination. I use Nuance PDF (purchased to permit PDF editing), however, I printed to “Miscrosoft Print to PDF” destination which also worked. Bottom line is to use a 3rd. party PDF creator and import that PDF into Corel. Sure there are many freebies out there. This procedure works for X8 as well. Hope that works 4u2.

kcab lla iH, Had a quick play around and while “Microsoft Print to PDF” doesn’t faeces out, it looses in the text translation (it comes out gibberish). I haven’t toyed around with fine settings during export/import procedures as I already have a working tool set and just want to point your nose in the right direction. My suggestion is to try out some other freebie PDF writers. As you are using Layout, you don’t seem to be adverse to paying a few shekels for desired results. I can only confirm that the latest (and last 2) version(s) of Nuance Power PDF works though it can cost a few shekels (not free). Maybe 2017 may work and I believe it is available.

Dear Alex,

Nuance didn’t work either.

I have the same problem you had with the font names in document properties
in Acrobat. The font names have five funny letters in front of them. I have
Verdana, but it just won’t import the PDFs from LO. It used to work
beautifully. It was a great function - the color of a bitmap and the sharp
lines of a vector.

I tried F8 in CorelDraw. It was a little better. It imported the PDF file
without dimension lines.

You still have the same problem in X8?