Layout not recognizing Sketchup (new iMac with chip)

I didn’t fix them completely but here you go. They still could use more.

DaveR - I can’t link to the sketch file at all!

What do you mean? You can open the SketchUp files tied to the LO files I uploaded by right clicking on a viewport and choosing Open with SketchUp. They will not be linked to the SketchUp model files you already have.

OMG I’m so lost!

From looking at your files it looks like you jumped in at the deep end without having any swimming lessons. As I suggested earlier, go through the stuff at learn.sketchup.com

In the last file you uploaded, you have the viewport buried under a bunch of stuff. If you want to access that viewport you can turn off the layers for the stuff above it or find a place where you can access it.
viewport

when I open it up, it’s an old version

When you open what? The LO files I uploaded have the word ‘purged’ in their titles.

Yes I changed it.
When I open this layout file with sketcheup as you indicate above, it’s an old version of the sketch model

Should I resend it again?

I didn’t update all of the associated SketchUp model files. I don’t have time to go through every single one right now. I only purged one of them in each of the LO files.

I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.
I’m supposed to print permit sets later this week and I’ve got final touches to do on my 3 drawing sets and they don’t link back to Sketchup - I’m screwed.

I’m sorry I just don’t have time to fix your files for you.

If you open the SketchUp files from LayOut you should be able to make your changes then save the changes and go back to LayOut and they should update. As I told you at the beginning, if you have made changes to viewports in LO that show the Reset button, changes to those properties in SketchUp won’t carry over to the LO file. You would need to reset those properties in LayOut first.

ok…thx

Question that has been plaguing me for ages is:
Why does it make a difference to LayOut performance if the Sketchup model is purged?

Shouldn’t that information be automatically culled during the transfer to layout?
I’m assuming it is not culled but I cant figure out why.

I don’t know why you would expect the unused materials, components, styles, etc. to be purged when you send to LayOut. The file goes into LO just as you saved it. Those things aren’t automatically purged when you save the SketchUp file. There might be cases in which the user actually wants at least some of the unused content. Maybe your SketchUp template has a bunch of tags already established for the objects you will be modeling. Or maybe you have a set of styles included in the template ready to asign to scenes as you create them.

The SketchUp file(s) is added to the LayOut file so if it is bloated, the LayOut file is bloated. LayOut also doesn’t automatically purge unused content, either. The user has to decide that they really don’t need it and purge it manually.

This thread admirably demonstrates the need for new users to understand certain basic Dos and Donts.

One is: Don’t generate any raw geometry on any tag/layer except for Untagged.

Another is: Don’t modify Layout viewports if you want to maintain a dynamic link to the Sketchup model (if it is a current version of LO, it has been made rightly difficult to modify viewports).

It seems to me that any tutorial, manual, book, or other advice about using SU/LO should probably start with a list of these in bold red type!