Layout issues in 21.1.299

Hybrid and Vector mode for rendering should not show objects behind your view.

Didn’t know you could open the embedded skp from the layout file

Take a look at my way.

test edited.skp (414.0 KB)

Just using Outliner to select what you see.

By section, I think you must mean that you are using the section tool to create an elevation. Again, you can do that but it’s not really what the tool was designed for. Sections cut through elements of structure rather than thin air.

I was right:

Yes. By section I mean the section tool. I am using the camera to cut through cabinets in a complex model. I just don’t want to see the whole object.

This doesn’t change the fact that the camera should not show objects behind it in Hybrid and vector mode. It didn’t in prior versions.

I think you are getting mixed up between render modes and projection.

Render modes only change the way a scene that has been set up is displayed in LO. For example:

Hybrid mode.

Raster mode.

Vector mode.

Personally, I don’t have much use for Vector mode. I use raster whilst working on the LO file because it is faster, then switch to Hybrid mode to get good quality for output.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. This is a scene produced with a camera view that cuts though a set of caninets in Vector mode.

I agree. I use hybrid mode most often

So that looks like the sort of thing you would use a section cut for normally.

As stated this is a complex model and there would be too many section cuts to mange.

What about uploading that LO file?

I’m not getting projection modes and render modes confused. Open my test layout file and change the render mode of the top left view pane and see what happens.

Same scene. same projection.
Raster Mode:image

Hybrid Mode:image

Hybrid Mode is displaying objects behind the view. In this case the cylinder.

OK, I confess that I don’t know why different render options would change your camera view. Because I don’t do things your way, I must take your word for it that it has all changed in the latest version. There are people here who know more about this kind of thing than I do, including members of the SU team.

As you haven’t uploaded the cabinet file, I also can’t offer much advice about how you might do things differently so as to avoid the problem. All I can say is that, after using SU almost since its inception, I would never do what you do and feel that it is highly likely that there is a better way. Ultimately what matters is how the model is set up and what you need to be able to show.

This thread might also be instructive: Why geometry behind camera shows on my elevation viewport?

Another learning resource:

The SketchUp You Tube Channel. Much good info about SketchUp and Layout!! By the SketchUp Team.,

Using positioning the camera in parallel projection can produce ‘clipped’ views of the model, where the camera is positioned at the (guess what)’ by the tool set position’. Simply meaning that everything beyond it is ‘clipped’.
That thread was from some years ago, there was something changed with the camera positions in version 2020, I believe. Zooming now actually repositions the camera in parallel projection.
Maybe, something similar is happening with raster and vector in LayOut.

Something I don’t know, Jack, is how you reveal where the camera is set after you have chosen to set it. I don’t even know if it is possible. It’s ignorance through lack of use!

If you look at the OP’s file, there are scenes set up, presumably with a camera position, such that the cylinder disappears from view as if it had never been there. That’s one reason I wouldn’t use this method myself as things that are actually still there seem to vanish into thin air. But it’s maybe just what you’re used to. In your experience, is @taylorb’s method commonly used?