Layout Crashing - Inserted DWG the cause...?

Not necessarily expecting a solution from this post but thought that I would share my experience today with Layout crashing repeatedly with, seemingly, one particular file. Other files are not crashing.

I have been submitting the bugspats.

I copied a Layout file from a previous project (a “Location Plan” file) to use on another project.

I renamed the file and opened it for editing. I kept the existing linework (would be deleted later) and inserted a DWG ( ordnance survey map downloaded from a reputable online provider ) and started to work on the file.

Previously I have imported my Location Plan DWGs via SketchUp, i.e. imported the DWG into SketchUp and then imported the SketchUp file into Layout and I have never had any problems ever doing it that way.

But today after inserting the DWG directly into Layout I have had multiple crashes all morning with the file.

So I decided to revert back to my previous method of inserting the Location Plan DWG via SketchUp and so far no crashes…

This is what I do and seems to work. I too have not had a lot if success trying to open DWGs directly in Layout. One good reason to do so is that you might get all the text and other stuff that SU strips off. So it’s a shame it isn’t reliable.

An update…

Since I last posted about this I have used UK Ordnance Survey DWGs (obtained from an Ordnance Survey Partner) 3 times without any problems.

These 3 times were for 1:1250 location plans where editing of the inserted DWG linework was very minimal if at all.

This week I inserted an Ordnance Survey DWG directly into Layout to create a site plan where I have been extensively editing the DWG linework and I have had multiple crashes.

Looking back to what I was doing when I first posted, I was also extensively editing the DWG linework.

So, I received an email from the UK SketchUp distributor probably as a result of the recent crash reports I have been submitting.

And the suggestion is that I should contact my reseller about my issue as if they, the reseller, are going to be able to help me with Layout crashing because of (most likely) an inserted DWG
:thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.