Layout Constantly Crashing

Must be something about 15, I am getting layout crashing all day, I can’t even render a viewport, I have a powerful desktop and brand new dell xps 17, tried it on my dell xps 17, crashes as soon as I render a viewport, updating works fine, it’s the rendering action.

Come on please get this fixed soon. I just pulled an all nighter trying to get work done and I’ve got a 2 or 3 hour stall now becuase of this. Please layout team, actually make layout a reliable program, it’s a joke how long it’s taking for the program to be developed so that it’s atleast RELIABLE. The frustrating part is like sorry for the inconvenience, I’m losing money becuase the program crashed on me 15 times, look at the forum posts of layout crashing and holy smokes it’s bad for like the past 3 years of posting about layout crashing. Figure it out guys, please, it’s painful.

1 Like

This is what is in your profile:

You might update that to make trying to help you easier.

SketchUp 2015?

I believe that was meant to be 15 crashes a day.

But you’re right about updating the profile. No matter what Adam fixes, he isn’t going to rebuild LayOut 2018, only future versions will benefit from the improvements.

What are the specs of your desktop and laptop?
Have you upgraded the display drivers of both?
Is SketchUp using your separate graphics instead of an integrated display chip?
Have you sent in the “bugsplat” reports with your contact details?
Can you post a LayOut file that crashes your system?

Hello. Im having the same issue when commanding a render in all modes.Skecthup modelling is great, silky smooth but I’m finding layout frustrating.
I find if I shut my machine down it quite often remedies the issue but on some drawings it just will just keep happening.
I did resolve this by copying the problem page within the same file and it was OK, the original page was still a problem. Up until this point I did not know what to do as I had to get some drawings issued, ended staying up through the night.
Computor Spec :-1:image
Graphics Card Spec :- image

If you could resolve this that would be fantastic.

I would send the files but it not happening on one particular file but on various.

Machines relatively new, about 6 months old.

Kind Regards

John

Corrected Grahics file spec :-1:

Using SketcUp Pro 2020 with with current updates.

AMD seems to have a newer driver version for your graphics card. Not saying that it necessarily helps.

@colin, I’ve learned from you over our calls to be more of an investigator. I made a post sharing how I fixed this problem over in sketchucation, I forgot to reply here.

The problem was clearly for me that I had auto render checkbox turned off. Although this is usually very ideal to have this box unchecked because than one can use layout quickly and when you render a viewport it can now be quickly manually done individually and not rendering the whole page. Having the auto render box ticked again and all crashing problems dissapeared. I will try soon again to uncheck it as I mostly have had the box unchecked for months now with no problems.

@colin I unfortunately have a chip on my shoulder for the development side of apps in general be it project management apps etc. I know it’s not healthy but man does layout make me so happy and so upset at the same time some days… Thanks for your response. @colin @Anssi

I don’t know if you read my other recent post, about now working in the QA team instead of Support. That may mean I will work directly with customers less than before, but I should have a bigger impact on getting problems fixed at an earlier start.

Good to know Colin, thanks for letting me know. Either way I’m starting to learn how to ease off on my frustrations and understanding that things will get developed as they get developed. Tough lesson for me to learn, I guess I’m referring to (patience and acceptance) ha.

Hi Araya,
I hear you, but many of us that have been rather frustrated with LayOut for years are simply asking that it (in particular) be “developed” a little faster, please?
Now that Trimble is asking a significant subscription price for the “privilege” of using this software, it seems only reasonable that they take some of that money and actually improve (or maybe totally revamp/rewrite the code) the performance of LayOut!

Well I agree and I think fortunately that is already happening. I think it was in the notes on the last major version release where trimble talked about now that things are on a subscription more features will begin to be made more consistently. I believe I read that on the last release notes, or on a faq on the website. Hopefully that’s the case.

Yes, that is what has been said … hopefully it will result in something more than the slow pace of minor, incremental LayOut improvements we have seen to date!

Thanks Colin. I’ve tried this and it has helped. :+1:
Still a bit worried and nervous though. I’ve got one file that will not even open now, fortunately I don’t need it. :grimacing:

Thankyou :+1:

My situation is when hit ‘send to layout’ layout opens with the image appearing on a selected template. once i try to edit the image, layout crashes as well as the main sketchup page as well…
i have tried for months with different files etc…please can anyone help?

share a Layout file so that some of us might be able to help you…

Problem is I can’t even do anything with the file…
Can I send you the actual SketchUp file?