Layout becomes unresponsive when I switch to Vector

You might just need to wait a bit. I didn’t take the time to thoroughly clean up the components in your model.

I know some other Mac users have reported sluggish behavior (and I know of at least two users who have switched to using PCs.) I don’t know if using SU/LO2019 will help in your case or not.

I restarted my computer and it’s still won’t let me flip pages without freezing.

That use to not happen. Sorry I am just frustrated that every click I take is a 5 min rainbow wheel or a complete freeze.

I understand being frustrated. If you want, I’ll strip out some more of the heavy stuff and save it again.

Can I manually go in and clean things up? Would just deleting the excessive components and things will remove it will a purge at the end work? I am guess I am disappointed that what’s the point of showing the designed interior space if everything except the walls causes it to slow down and not be functional.

I feel bad having you do it. Also if I have to edit anything in sketchup I won’t have a file from the changes in LO.

It would help if you do that in the .skp file. Right click on a viewport in the LO file and choose Open With SketchUp so you get the file that’s linked to the LO file.

I understand. As I wrote before, components you get from the 3D Warehouse are often overly detailed. Those lamps shades are a great example. There’s no reason for them to have anywhere close to 30,000 entities. There’s no reason for that espresso maker to have screw heads when the espresso maker is being used the way you are using it.

FWIW, I’m not seeing the sluggishness on my PC. You also need to work within the capabilities of your computer.

I took out some of the heavier stuff. Does this one perform any better. It’s almost 83% reduced from your original.

FIXED Cover and persepctives cleaned2.layout (10.6 MB)

Sorry dumb question what or where is the viewport? I am trying to click around but every click I get a rainbow wheel and have to start over. I get one click and then I restart the program. This is not a solution.

The viewport is the view of the model on the page in LayOut. Use a right or context click to open the Context menu to get to Open with SketchUp.

OK I got it open in sketchup and I will continue to clean it up there since I cannot turn pages in LO.
One last question if I want to color in some of the walls in LO how do I color onto the layout and not underneath it? Or is that not a function in LO?

You can’t add color to the model in LayOut. You could use the drawing tools in LayOut to trace regions in the model to create shapes that can be colored, though. Here I traced the top of the kitchen wall with the Line tool and then set the Fill color to green. I copied the shape off to the side so you can see it separately.

I tried that but it will only make the shapes underneath the layout floor plan image. So that’s why I thought it was not an option. Is there a setting to click to make sure it goes on the layout as opposed to the blank piece of paper behind it?

Do the drawing on a layer higher in the Layers list than the viewport is on.

OHH ok thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for your help! I have a lot of work to clean up but that is good to know going forward.

1 Like