Layout 2021 - Viewport Issue

Ouch! So my default first scene is not used in LO… and I have camera off in that scene… so best to toggle it on… as it is to easy to accidentally save to LO from that view… noted thanks

1 Like

Hi there, I just recently updated SketchUp from 2019 to 2021. For the last week I’ve had nothing but issues with layout and they appear to be similar to what has been talked about on this forum. I use plusspec as a plug-in running with SketchUp but I have tried reinstalling SketchUp and Plusspec but the issues still remain. This is exceedingly frustrating as I am losing money every day.

How can I download 2020 SketchUp so at least I can get on with work?

Regards
Tim

From the (current) default download location?

You’ll need someone to help you resolve possible licencing issues, maybe @colin can assist / advise.

As you have a subscription you can use any of the last three versions. You might want to open 2019, and sign out (then close it) to make sure you have a spare sign in to try 2020.

This is a direct link to the 2020 installer:

Windows SketchUp 2020 installer

Hopefully you can open your files in LayOut 2021 and SketchUp 2021, long enough to do a Save As to a 2020 format file.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I must say, after paying for a licence and having to deal with layout issues is very frustrating. This has literally cost me a weeks work.

Do we have any time scales when this issue will be resolved?

Regards

Tim

1 Like

I look forward to the update, as I have multiple jobs that this has affected these last few weeks. Glad I know it is now identified

This workaround is working for me. Though i’d like to note that it is not acceptable in the long term. I have various scenes I specifically do not wish to save ALL properties. For example I have scenes I use to turn on and off certain layers whilst working without changing the camera angle. for example to switch between a structural view and views showing the architectural model with wall finishes (and structure turned off). All these scenes are now useless until such time I can turn off those properties from scene

Apologies if I’ve missed something…

The OPs issue appeared to be how it was affecting viewports in Layout, that is, scenes specifically set up in SketchUp for Layout.

As I understand the workflow you just mentioned, the scenes you have set up for controlling tag visibility without changing the camera (I used to use that workflow myself for everyday modelling until I started using a different one), those scenes don’t get used in Layout (or at least I never did). They are used for efficient modelling…?

Hi Paul,
My understanding from comments from Trent of the Sketchup team above is now to save ALL properties for ALL scenes, regardless of whether they are used in layout or not. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the instructions, though either way this situation is confusing and very disappointing I am sure you would agree

1 Like

Hi Colin Trent Sketch Up team HELLO!!!

Is there any update on when the Layout and Sketch-up issue is going to be resolved or a timeline when it might be addressed?

I share the frustrations of many small practices that this has broken the workflow of many studios.

We’re seriously thinking of leaving Sketch-Up for Vectorworks as this has cost us several $1000’s of dollars in non-productive work time to understand the issue and find workarounds.

We’ve currently held off deploying 2021 which we would like to do as we’re keen to expand in the environmental modelling elements.

This issue was first raised in January. We’re now halfway through April.

1 Like

Hi alimac, I cannot give you a certain date or timeline except to say the issue is being worked on we hope to have a fix out soon. We are sorry that this has been such an inconvenience for you and your workflow.

Trent

2 Likes

Thank you for coming back on this.

Look forward to hearing about the updates in due course.

Hi Trent,
Any update on this major issue ?
I have seen a few other threads regarding this problem including this new one: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/export-to-pdf-scene-looks-different-to-whats-in-layout/164275

This is so important to resolve ASAP for anyone producing professional work using Sketchup and Layout

With my current workflow ( and I don’t consider it a workaround at all ), I haven’t encountered this issue.

However I did need to get out some quick sketches the other week and exported my dedicated primary model file to Layout to present ( my primary model is where I do all my modelling and it is not used for any presenting ).

My primary model file has various scene properties unchecked and I started to get buggy viewport behaviour similar to what has been described. At first I couldn’t work it out until I remembered this thread.

Of course when it came to formal presentations I set up my secondary SU model with scenes for Layout and I had no issues. This is because my secondary presentation models have all the scene properties ticked.

I’m having similar problems sending the model from sketchup to layout and trying to get the model to be the same as the save sketchup scene then sending it to a pdf with the model missing parts of the drawing. I found playing around with the tags can help, I’m at a lost what to do and on reading comments in the forum go back to sketchup 2020. I have wasted a lot of valuable time trying to get the work right, it need to be fixed

Wow this is quite the issue affecting workflow in both programs. While the workaround seems to work by checking each box in the scene properties for ALL scenes, this is not acceptable in the long term. Hope this gets resolved soon, thinking about reverting to 2020 as well.

1 Like

[quote=“adam, post:38, topic:150648”]
We will have this fixed in the next update, whenever that may be.
Sorry for the inconvenience, Adam
Hi Adam,
I hope you are following the LayOut “Petition” thread on the Forum.
Transparency regarding your LO improvement timeline is an important element that the users have identified … Hopefully your superiors will soon release you to be more informative in the future!

1 Like

Hi guys here is a fix. We have had 3 people report the same issue this week and this seems to work.

Unfortunately, they wasted a lot of time on it and if the above does not work, and you have SU 2020 I suggest back saving the SU21 file to SU2020 and then send to Layou t2020

1 Like

Hi Tim thanks for letting us know, my latest response should fix it yet for more details head to the PlusSpec forum.   • View topic - Layout 2021 - what is your thoughts on this Sketchup bug

Hi

This is still occurring.

Two screenshots attached. All the check boxes were checked on the Sketchup Model.

The main difference here is that the sectional view is from a Model originally created in Sketchup 2019. The model was opening in 2021, and saved as a 2021 version. All the checkboxes were checked too.

I’ve had to manually fill the section in Layout. NOT ideal.

I do not get the issue when using a 2021 model with all the checkboxes ticked. BUT, using an older Version Model, even though opened and saved in 2021, seems to cause problems, even with all the Scene Checkboxes ticked.

Not ideal, and could really do with fixing, considering I posted the original problem on January 26th.

Any update on when this will be sorted?

Mike