Layout 2020 NOT Referencing Existing Geometry During Move/Copy - Why!?

I have tried Dave’s method on Mac and can’t get it to work either. I also notice that when Dave moves the copied square, it appears to move in a perfect horizontal line. My experience is like @PaulMcAlenan where the copied item moves around randomly until you find a locking point. But that doesn’t happen if you haven’t moved the handle. The copy will then move along an axis automatically.

I think we need a photo of Dave’s tongue position when making this clever manoeuvre.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

This was a bug in our latest update that broke the move-copy inferencing behavior. We have fixed this issue for the next update, but I do not have a timeframe for the release.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Adam

3 Likes

For a second object, but not to make an array? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It would place a copy on top, which you could use to snap to the one that’s underneath.

2 Likes

True! :+1:

Yeah. This one bugs the ■■■■ outta me!

Ahha! pretty slick.

Yay Sketchup Team!

1 Like

I didn’t know this could be done in the first place. What is the procedure to be able to copy multiple times?

You just type * and then a number after you finish dragging. you can also type / and then a number to make the copies appear between where you started/stopped. Also works with rotate!

Just to add to this issue…

It’s similar but doesn’t involve copying.

I have a group and when I move it and try to snap it to the line it won’t snap.
Only when I grab the gizmo and reposition the gizmo will the group then snap to the line

That might be a different issue:

Hey Paul,

This is expected behavior when moving a group. For groups we use the four corners of the bounding box as the inference points, not the entities contained within the group.

Hope that clears things up,
Adam

3 Likes

thanks Adam