Layers / Groups

SU 2019 Mac user

So I drew a cube. I turned it into a group and named it CUBE.
Then I clicked Entity Info and put CUBE on to a layer named CUBE.
I was hesitant because I had to switch from layer zero to layer CUBE.
But all elements in the group CUBE are still on layer zero - correct?
Only the group CUBE is on layer CUBE.

Do I now understand the basic relation between layers and groups?

1 Like

you understood, well…

If you switch layers in the entity info panel, you do not change the ‘active layer’ , so you’ll be good!
You only assign the layer to that entity.

1 Like

It sound like you did it well but you can check that easily. Select the group and Entity Info should show that it resides on layer “cube”. Open the cube for editing and select all the geometry inside. Entity Info should show layer “0” for those.

Yes. You are correct. The edges and faces of the cube are created on and remain on Layer 0. Only the Cube group/component gets assigned to the CUBE layer.

Once you get in the habit of leaving Layer 0 active and only assigning components and groups (and dimensions or other text if you use them) to other layers, you’ll find it’s a very freeing thing and takes almost no thought. With Layer 0 active at all times, you only need the Layers panel open for creating the layers or controlling their visibility.

1 Like

Great
For awhile I’ve been using the ‘hide’ function within
Outliner to control visibility.
Very cumbersome.
Yes indeed … a very freeing thing

Got it.
Thanks

Here is as good a place as any to ask this.

If you explode a component or group that has been saved to a layer, does the loose geometry stay on layer 0?

Nope.

Best practice if you do have to explode a component is immediately, while the entities are still selected change their layer association to Layer 0.

1 Like

No, that still needs to be fixed, it gets placed on the layer the group was assigned.
Which is a good reason for using Tig’s Layer watcher, it fixes things like that.

3 Likes

Thanks Box, I thought that was how I understood that. And thank you also for the tip to “layer watcher”.

And thanks DaveR, that’s even easier, as long as I remember to do it! :wink:

Would it be better practice to change whatever layer your component/group to layer 0 prior to exploding?

Might be better if it’s easier for you to remember. I find in practice I rarely ever need to explode components that have warranted getting a layer association other than Layer 0.

1 Like

LOL, that I believe, however I do on occasion.

Strange thing @DaveR , I know we both posted about the same time, although it showed you replying after I had posted, and then both quickly edited our posts, but mine was above yours Dave several times, then I come back and it is after yours. Odd, I guess it’s dependent on what your PC sees and web lag etc. Not important, just odd. And very off topic.

Very weird, indeed.

Yes. I do, too once in awhile. So I just remember the layer thing. With Entity Info open all the time, it’s easy to glance up and check.

1 Like

It could be that you Box are in Australia vs Minnesota, but what do I know?

So if I turn my computer upsidedown it will be correct.

3 Likes

Maybe just the monitor?

I’ll second that!

1 Like

Forget Layers altogether, particularly if you are used to ANY other drawing system, as you have noticed they don’t work as supersets. What is critical is to have everything as groups and components and then as the drawing builds have groups of groups and components containing further components. Eventually after a years work the drawing will be huge and you will find that it suddenly become uneditable because it will take seconds to pan, zoom redraw etc (even on a 5.6GHz 32G SSD Gaming system and 500 quids worth of Nvidia !) . That is when layers become essential so you can distinguish between ‘drawing’ and 'presentation. Ie you turn off all trees, bushes, electrical & plumbing fittings, hinges & doorlocks, roof tiles etc and only turn on the detail when you need to make the video.

1 Like