Laptop spec help please (UK)

Hi - very new to this so please bear with me… I’d like advice on a suitable laptop spec (UK PC) for running SKP pro. I had been using an Asus K501u but less than two years in - it’s given up the ghost! I don’t know too much about tech specs. so be gentle! Ideally an economic price tag please. Thanks!

… sorry when I say ‘spec’ what I actually mean is advice on an actual laptop model! Thanks

I’m not a hardware expert but Lenovo Y-50-70 works great for me.

cool, thanks. Does it handle big models?

It’s a quite capable gaming laptop and handle all my models rather well. I do my best though to optimize my models and use low polygon components whenever possible.

Depends on what you class as large. Models should be ok but you will struggle with serious rendering on any laptop really besides a very expensive gaming machine.

I think as long as you are running an i7 you should be good to go.

If you don’t need the portability of a laptop have you looked at perhaps a small factor PC instead, they are quite cheap these days and small enough to carry around, of course need an external screen and keyboard/mouse with constant power supply but they can be tuned up to be quite powerful.

https://www.google.se/search?biw=1395&bih=780&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=p8lLWp6TPMSg6ASP6YuwDQ&q=mini+ITX+PC&oq=mini+ITX+PC&gs_l=psy-ab.3...0.0.0.119331.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0…0…1c…64.psy-ab…0.0.0…0.ZRdtfPKq5aQ

Yeah interesting, hadn’t thought about that. Any recommendations?

Depends on what your usage will be, do you have to do any rendering/animation and if so what software do you use? That usually dictates what GPU will be most useful and from that what the cost will be and other specs.

My models are pretty big-ish and I don’t do any photorealistic renders although I use pre-set edge styles. No animations. Usually export a series of scenes then add finishing touches in Ps

How big roughly? 100MB and over a PC may be more helpful but under that, a medium laptop would suffice. I have a a 3.1Ghz i7 with 16GB DDR3 RAM and an Intel Iris GPU (Macbook Pro). I can run large models pretty well up until about 150MB.

My PC has a 3.4Ghz i7 with 16GB DDR3 RAM and an MSI CTX 980Ti GPU, however it was about £1500 cheaper than the laptop and runs everything much better!

At the time my laptop was almost £3000 while my PC was just over £1600. However I have been able to upgrade my PC over the last few years. I have an oversized case but you could fir all of my components inside a mini case no problem.

Ok, thanks - i’ll Look into that. My models are probably just below 100mb - most of the laptops i’ve Been looking at are around the £1500-2000 mark which I guess is par for the course

Yeah that should be more than enough for a decent laptop or high spec mini PC

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.