Items taking a long time to download into model 2020 PRO

I have a Macbook PRO, and I was using 2017 Make, and a couple weeks ago upgraded to 2020 Pro. I think I selected the application version (b/c there is also a web based version, correct?) . Ever since I upgraded to pro, when I download model items from the warehouse, even small ones like a single chair, it takes 1-2 minutes to download into my model. Sometimes once it’s downloaded I get the spinny thing on my cursor every time I try to move, and sometimes it works fine. I do not think this is an internet connection issue - as I have no issues outside of this. Does this have something to do with 2020? Is there a setting I can change? It is seriously slowing me down. I’m not good at computer-y things, so dumb it down for me. :slight_smile: . And, this is my first post, so THANK YOU!

Do you use iCloud to save?

What Mike says could be it. I’ve done a lot of component downloads in 2020, and it isn’t any different than earlier versions. But, if you have iCloud set to mirror your downloads folder, you end up with the time it takes to download the file, then upload to your iCloud drive.

Look in Settings to see what your iCloud Drive settings are.

1 Like

Yes. I am going to look into that. Thank you!

So, do I uncheck the Desktop & Documents Folders?

I have the same issue with 2020, was this suggestion working for you well? what exactly have to be deactivated in iCloud settings then? Thanks!

System Prefences->Apple ID, then

To explain this, as I understand it (after having suffered huge download times), when you have those iCloud options turned on, and you do a download at an incredible speed, the file then has to upload at a slow speed before it’s deemed to be in your Downloads folder. I wish that Downloads was a separate entry in the iCloud options. I don’t mind if it slows me down when updating Documents.

Some people are also using SketchUp files on iCloud, not knowing that the save time is based on your upload speed and not your download speed.

Hi! I have similar problem - I’m using Sketchup Pro 2020 on iMac, and downloading and loading models takes even more than 2 minutes, sometimes up to 20 minutes, regardless of my internet connection. What should I check? I’ve checked the iClound thing and it’s just like you said.

If you turn off the iCloud Drive option to synchronize the desktop and documents folders, suddenly a lot of files will disappear from your local drive, which may be disturbing. They are all still in the same locations in the iCloud Drive, and you could download a copy.

When I’m on a screen share with someone with the problem, I describe what the issue is, but I dare not turn that option off. Not because I don’t trust what will happen, but because it is alarming, and I need the owner to understand what happens, and how to recover from it.

Once that option is turned off, everything will be faster.

Hi, Are there any other solutions found for this download issue? I am experiencing the same issues. It takes a long time to download even the smallest models.
My iCloud Drive option is turned off… Any other ideas??

Hi guys,

I have just turned off the iCloud Drive option as stated above, all my files have gone (scary) but they’re still there in my recents folder and I assume somewhere else.

I’m trying to download a plant from the Warehouse at current, it’s nothing detailed or big, and it’s taken 5 minutes to get the rainbow loading circle to disappear and for the item to show in my model.

Are there any other options to speed things up?

Please bear with me, I’m not the most techy or computer literate.

Mac OS Monterey
MacBook Air
Prosessor 1.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics card Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

If any of that means anything. Internet is super fast fibre, 100mbps upload and download.

Thanks,

Maxwell

Until this is resolved (it might be related to the system checking upon existing collections) open a new file and download in that file.clean things up (Tags, bounding box nesting etc.)
Select the thing you want and paste it in your work model.

Hi @Maxwell - I just inquired about the same topic in a separate thread yesterday. Take a look at what @Colin and @DaveR suggested in their replies.
Hope this helps!
The spinning beachball is, indeed, maddening and an impossible way to work.

Do you have any component collections that live in the iCloud folders?