Issues with SketchUp Free and SketchUp Make 2017

I just started SketchUp Free today. I have been using SketchUp Make 2017 (on Windows 10 through Firefox and Chrome) and it’s predecessor for more than 10 years.

1. With SketchUp Free, the erase function seems to be totally ineffective. I cannot erase lines, circles, entities, etc. Did I somehow download a beta version?
  2. Also, I didn’t notice any print function (maybe I just didn’t see it there).
  3. Is SketchUp Free basically a SketchUp Make “Lite”?

Also, with my SketchUp Make 2017, I cannot get the Layer function to work. I click on the Layer function and nothing happens.

Are all of these issues with the software, or am I just suffering with a brain issue?

I’m not seeing any issues with the Eraser tool here on Chrome. What Internet browser were you using? There is only the current version of SketchUp Free.

Not implemented yet.

No. But there are a number of features that haven’t been implement yet. They are updating SketchUp Free frequently, sometimes three or four updates a week, so keep your eyes peeled for added features.

What do you mean by “the Layer function”? If you want to create new layers, go to the Layers window which is normally found in the Default tray. click on the + in the circle in the upper left part of the window. If you want to associate layers with certain components or groups, select them and then change the layer selection in Entity Info which is also normally found in the Default tray.

Thanks DaveR for the replies.
Another question regarding SketchUp Free:
Can SketchUp Free open an existing SketchUp Make file that is resident on my computer, and will SketchUp Free have the ability to save a file to my computer? Is this Open/Save to my computer feature not yet implemented, or even contemplated?

Again, I re-checked with my SketchUp Make 2016 and SketchUp Make 2017, and cannot get the Layers function to work. I have deleted and reloaded SketchUp Make 2017 several times this week. I can get the Layers window to show in the work area or up in the tool bar area, but I can’t get it to open or add a new layer. The window is very small and I am unable to expand it. The Layers window does not show in the default tray. This seems to be a recent development to the program in my case. Any thoughts?
Thanks again

Yes. You can open SKP files from your computer. Did you try it?

You can download the file back to your computer and open it in SketchUp 2017.

Are you referring to the Layers toolbar? I was talking about the Layers window which is displayed by default in the Default Tray. It looks like this:

If it isn’t there, go to the Window menu. Click on Default Tray and select Layers.
Screenshot - 1_20_2018 , 11_45_43 AM

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.