Issues in generating dynamic components

I was saving components just yesterday and, for the first time, 2 of 10 that I imported had cleared the formulas from my X,Y,Z (position) attributes. Is this what you’re describing? I was working in 2018, fwiw

Yes…that´s the issue I´m describing.
The difference in my models:
it´s not the “formulas” that disappear out of the component-attributes - it´s the “dropdown-/type-in-fields” in the component-options that disappear
it´s usually not the functions for LenXYZ that mostly dissappear…mostly it´s the RotXYZ-fields in the options.

@pcmoor: I´ve resaved all DCs again after having checked if there are parts (or the whole group) that were not unique. they all were and I´ve still got problems with disappearing option-fields.

…any more hints on this perhaps? Or did I perhaps get sth. completely wrong up to now?

Screenshots:

1. original DC
  2. DC after importing it out of the saved folder

Are you saving them with blank fields like you show in the first picture? Maybe try having them defined when you save? Or is there a reason you prefer not to?

It’s pretty disconcerting that this could be a pattern. Are you using SU2018, too?

Hello Thomas and thanks for your hint,

but it doesn´t seem to make a difference if I save the DCs with the fields defined.

I am using the 2015 version…

does this happen even when you import into an empty file?
if not, can you systematically import into a model of one (or small number) of item(s) until the effect may be noted.

It already happens when importing the first DC into an empty file :frowning:

Here I send the original file, in wich i implemented some of the actual DCs.
Up to now, most of them loose options when I save them to a folder and then import them out of the “components”-window…Does this also happen when other people try the same with my DCs?dynamische Komponenten - reduziert.skp (2.7 MB)

a peculiarity I forgot about, as a matter of habit I nest multiple rotation

As observed, the DC does not read multiple rotations at the same level, plus they are overwritten on import.

So the workarounds, use separate attributes to retain the values, so not overridden on import and nest each rotation … a bit messy

There is another workflow you may be interested in, that is to use a ruby script to insert the component and align it using two points, that is you place and scale as simply as drawing a line in any direction.

Personally I go for the script

Here´s another issue folks (perhaps someone is able to help):

I´m located in Germany. So I tried to make a document wich makes the actual problem clear in english language.

It´s not the first time, I have to deal with a similar problem:
sometimes SketchUp seems to calculate on base of other fields, that I didn´t tell it to use.
In this example one of the groups in my dynamic component doesn´t work properly, positioning this group when the Length of the whole component should change.

I will add the .skp of the component and a PDF with the discription of my problem…have I described it in an understandible way?

dynamic component.pdf (416.7 KB)
4-Kant-Stahlrohr.skp (136.7 KB)

I have the same issue with the generated DC’s.

I just created some for the first time, and as long as I use them in the source file or copy paste them to a new file, nothing changes and I have all attributes available. However, when importing them through the components section it removes all the attributes.

4-Kant-Stahlrohr (1).skp (135.2 KB)
by position axis at edge of the middle piece and change position formula, overcomes this problem.

1 Like

To save a component or dynamic component for reuse via the component broswer or drag and drop, you use the right click menu on the selected component and choose “save as”

Its very likely the component you are accessing is a file with the component inside, if you explode this item after inserting via the broswer you will find you DC with its options, right click this and use save as to over-write to fix

if still problems, please up load the file example

thank you very (!) much for that suggestion!
your hints are very useful!!! :smiley:

in the attached file, you can find all my actual DCs.
on the green area are those, that DON´T loose any options and components after saving and reimporting.
on the red area are those, that mostly loose their options/attributes.

remarkable thing, that all “false” ones have in common: it is only the ROT-functions that get “damaged/erased”…no other sort of functions.

perhaps important to say: I ALWAYS save my DCs by rightclicking and “save to…” - and then I reimport them from my component-window.

in hope to get an idea of what i could change…greetings from Germany.
P.

hmmmmm… I had to delete all working examples from my file, because it was too big to be uploaded (3,6MB).
So here you find all 6 DCs that loose ROT-functions when I import them from the components window.

dynamic components - only non-working ones.skp (1.6 MB)

Rotations should be nested in their own component, you can use a group if only one rotation function, but for deeper nesting always use components for rotations (one nesting for each)
I nested the rotations in your examples and added a few concepts
dynamic components -fixed ones.skp (1.7 MB)

1 Like

It is good to have a ‘working file’ which contains the actual component. This way you can see how the component ‘acts’ or looks when ‘dragged’ in another model.
The workflow displayed here is for developing content for the 3D warehouse, but the same aplies for collections of components in your workenvironment.

More info:

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have this problem regularly and cannot get my XYZ or ROT formulas to stick. Sometimes it works but more often it does not and I find myself resetting and blindly clicking hoping to get lucky.

…the reply by pcmoor from January 27th is the best hint in my opinion.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.