Issues getting started with Trimble Creator

A few more questions:

How do I delete my earlier partial or unsuccessful attempts at Live Components? Not obvious in the Creator window.

How do I make saved models Mine? I’ve given them names starting with my initials, and I can find them in the All tab when I search for JWM, but I can’t see ANY models in the Mine tab. Yet I’m logged in and Trimble knows who I am - username shows in the All models list as JohnMcC.

Where are the models stored in the cloud? I don’t see them showing up in 3D Warehouse.

Why are there no Featured models?

Hello
There is currently no deletion proposed!
Ditto for me, the “Mine” tab remains empty" (bug or option not yet activated?)
Sending to 3DWareHouse is "still manual!
See the post about it.

Afterwards, once imported into SketchUp, you just have to share it on 3DWareHouse as usual.

Otherwise, Bravo for the progress in less than a week! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for that, and thanks again for your examples which got me started.

I’d already set details for the input parameters to allow the sliders for values to change by discrete steps, making them easier to use, and set fixed but ‘soft’ maximum and minimum values for them all.

I’ve gone two steps further now, and will stop there, at least for a while, on this component.

I’ve added two refinements.

1. An option to recess the middle shelves relative to the sides, top and bottom

2. Constraints on maximum plinth height and side thickness, to avoid the plinth going beyond the top, and the sides being more than half the overall width.

Now looks like this:

Or with different parameters as a frame:

Here’s a link to the latest version.
https://creator.trimble.com/graph?assetURI=whp:53fda52a-6f51-4724-855a-475d110f8502&layout=left

The graph has grown rather more complicated, but I ‘grew it’ a step at a time so it wasn’t overwhelming.

I may (but not tonight) write a separate thread about the things I learned to make this possible.

6 Likes

Nicely done John!

If you’re after a couple pointers for graph improvements, here are a couple I can give:

1. It’s a bit of a mind-shift from traditional direct modelling, but with more complex geometries (like your book case), I tend to start from curves and polylines to get my general shapes (as they are easier to work with), then adding geometry to it (the Vancouver Cauldron tutorial in the tutorial browser is a good example of this).
    - i.e. rather than trying to scale boxes a bunch of boxes, we can generate the profile for the book case, and extrude those pieces.
    - eg: Trimble Creator
  2. In a similar vein, another thing I try and do is to try and solve problems geometrically, rather than mathematically (math is always needed mind you, but we can simplify things down a bit).
    - One example in the graph above, is that rather than manually calculating the actual size of the horizontal shelves, we can instead use the side pieces to “cut” via a 2d boolean to their correct sizes.
  3. Knowing these last two point, we can also think about what parts of the graph could be melded together so we don’t have two parts of the graph doing the same thing.
    - The immediate one I can see is rather than having the top and bottom shelves be made independently from the rest, we can instead isolate them via a get primitive node and simply extrude them a different distance based on the inset (Trimble Creator).
    - We could also do something different by making a list of extrusion distances with what distance we want each shelf to be extruded by (Trimble Creator), but this one takes a bit more thinking/math so I personally like the first one a bit more for this particular use case - but it’s still a good concept to know.

The first two points kind of go hand-in-hand.
Realistically though, there isn’t anything in particular that is wrong with your current graph - just a different way of doing things!

1 Like

The “Mine” tab is a filter for searched graphs to only show graphs owned by you for a particular search.

As for the “Featured” tab, it looks like the graphs disappear after a search which I would consider a bug. Thanks for noticing that @john_mcclenahan!

1 Like

After getting started with Trimble Creator, I really wish I could use it on my iPad in the near future.
I don’t think you’ll need a native app here, a web app as on desktop fits perfectly, you’ll just need some more buttons to replace shortkeys.

1 Like