Is this Normal

I imported a .dwg. it’s contours of land 2miles by 2 miles. I purged all junk, but it’s still stupid slow.

I have have tried sandbox and toposhaper for a mesh on the contours. Here is my question:

I’m running Windows 10 and when I check performance my CPU is using roughly 20% of memory and 7 percent of CPU, is the CPU portion normal?

My system has an Nvidia 3090Ti, i9, 256GB ram.

I have tried the same process on my latest apple. The cpu runs at 100% and I’m pretty sure I can hear a faint cry for it’s mother just before it tells me it can’t handle big files.

Again, what I’m asking is, is it normal for Windows to run such low cpu on this operation?

There so much for any advice!

PS. Your work on Flickr is amazing.

Possibly. Depends on the number of entities (edges in this case, probably).

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. You are absolutely correct, the edges are several hundred thousand. Forgive my ignorance but how do those edges cause the computer to only use a small percentage of the CPU?

Is there a plugin to consolidate edges? I’m not looking for free solutions, just a solution, however I’m more intrigued by why my apple runs at at 100% CPU and my windows at 7%?

Lastly, I’m a fan of your work. You and a few other plugin creators are who I follow and I am happy to support in any way that I can.

Cheers,
Rob

SketchUp like all other 3D modeling applcations is only using a single core of your CPU. At least to date it isn’t possible to multi-thread those kinds of operations.

There are extensions such as CleanUp3 that can merge complanar faces and reduce entity counts. There are others like Fredo6’s Curvizard that can simplify curvese. Often files like .dwg’s have excessive entity counts so they can benefit from extensoins such as these.

I don’t know what is different about your Mac compared to your PC but I’m not terribly surprised.

Than you very much. I’d let you buy me an amber or dark brown colored drink if I’m ever in your neighborhood and knock on your door. :crazy_face:

1 Like