Is there an extension to allow multiple compositions of a model, similar to comps in Photoshop?

Hey everyone, I couldn’t find an answer after searching Google and various forums. I was wondering if there happens to be a feature or extension in Sketchup that would allow you to change various things in a properties of a model’s objects, such as paint color, whether an object is hidden, an object’s size/location, etc… and save that ‘state’. So after saving multiple ‘states’, you could quickly jump between them on the fly. I’m thinking along the lines of something similar to comps in Photoshop if that makes sense.

Thank you all!

Pretty much all of what you described can be done with native tools. Correct use of layers and scenes can cover most of it. Dynamic Components could be employed as well.

4 Likes

Hi DaveR, thanks for the response (and for so much assistance and knowledge you’ve given in the forums). Do you know if there’s been anything created that would aggregate all of those tools functions into a single extension that provides a quick, straight-forward way of accomplishing that? Would something like that not be as handy for many to use as it seems in my head?

Thanks again!

Scenes can do all the things you mention…

john

You could purchase this plugin here: https://extensions.sketchup.com/ru/content/composcene that would help both create and export different scene styles for post-production in Photoshop.

Also take a look at our SketchUp campus course on setting up scenes, layers, styles and shadows yourself so that you can customize exactly to suit your needs: https://learn.sketchup.com/course/creating-exporting-scenes-sketchup/styles-scene-setup

Thanks john & eric, I need to learn a bit more about Scenes then I guess. I was under the impression it did little more than save predetermined viewpoint locations and rendering styles. I’ll check out that extension, also. Thanks everyone for your responses.

to change various things in a properties of a model’s objects, such as paint color, whether an object is hidden, an object’s size/location, etc…

Generally in SketchUp the geometry must be created or modified for different conditions like these, excepting the visibility, which can be controlled by use of layers (and you set which layers are in a visible in a scene). With dynamic components one can change a number of these things for different scenes. Also there are animation plugins like Fredo’s you could look at. But you are correct, “Scenes” in Sketchup mostly control style, shadows, fog and camera, and layer visibility–but you can choose e.g. which state of a dynamic component is displayed.
I suspect, without further knowledge of what you are trying to do, that simply rearranging and re-texturing different copies of your geometry (only for those components that must change) would be the easiest and fastest way forward, for that part. Then you can choose which version you want to show in each scene. It seems to me this gives you ultimate control, while still keeping everything associated in one file.